User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: The anatomy of how a wedding shoot turns into a train wreck.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy The anatomy of how a wedding shoot turns into a train wreck.

Invite comes for a Wedding. Bride says she does not have a professinoal coming but would like me to take some photos. I go through the pro forma of permission and that whilst discrete would not just be shooting from the congregation -etc.

Cool.

Turn up with kit - there are about 4 "photographers" there - and a big industrial sized video photographer. I get wife and kits in side pew so I can move off as needed.

Take some test shots for white balance. All good. Wedding starts Get camera to take shot and take shot of brides' maid. Wife gently explains (kick in back of leg I think) that it's inappropriate "With that big lens", children squirming already. Have to settle them down. I look around - wondered if indeed bride had got a pro after all. I put my camera away, pointless and decided to just enjoy the wedding, thinking that capable photographers were on hand anyway,

After Wedding, kiss bride..."Did you take some good pictres..." Oh ****.

I looked at the other photographers a bit more closely - modest kit but that's not the problem. But doing the set shots whilst a couple of the young boys were holding kebab sticks and drink, and staring in any which direction and I thought it best to walk away.

Lessons:

1. If you go to an important shoot (amateur or not) you're there as a photographer and not an Uncle Barry with a camera.
    2. Meet before hand and plan
    3. Have authority
    4. Have no other purpose for being there - you definitely can't be two things at once.

Any other lessons - I'll accept with due humility!
    Last edited by Bercy; 26-05-2011 at 3:36pm.
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."