Unfortunately the poll didn't allow for republicans who like the monarchy - which is where I stand. There are all manner of things which fall under the general umbrella of "we could have built a hospital with that money" argument. The reality is - that just doesn't happen. The money always ends up somewhere else. The same is said about the space program, the Grand Prix etc etc. Personally, I like the fact that the monarchy is a piece of living history which dates back through time in a very real story of the British Empire and our own origins. I have walked through Westminister Abbey and stood at the tombs of the monarchs and historical figures buried there, and it is an amazing experience to see and touch icons of the history we read about as children.

I don't believe we need the Queen as our head - we've moved on, and even though we only have Tony Abbott or Julia Gillard to choose from, we should at least be looking within our own country. Nevertheless, I hope the Monarchy continues on and on and we can continue to have that link with the past and the continuation of a story which has its roots in centuries past. Anyone who has visited the UK and places like Windsor Castle and the Abbey will understand what a buzz it is to see and experience such a fundamental link with our past.

......... mind you, I still think one of my cherished memories of this Royal Wedding is still going to be Pippa Middleton's rear end.