Don't forget that the actual area of the sensor used for auto focus is NOT limited to that tiny red square that is on the screen, it's actually quite a bit larger, the camera will always focus on anything closest to the camera
In your first image I am actually inclined to believe that you have some amount of camera shake, that has blurred the image, hence why nothing looks in focus.
The exif data has been stripped from the images, what are the tech specs on the shot, and what tripod is the camera attached to ?

The camera can obviously focus, at least to a point, you say so your self, in single point AF, you seem to be happy.

I own and LOVE my 7D, do I ever use "auto select", as in let the camera select my focus point, not on your nelly, I can not think of 1 single time where it would be prudent, beneficial, practical or acceptable to allow my camera to choose a focus point.
In fact, in the custom functions, I had turned of the option to use 19 point auto select, just not going to happen. For this reason I cannot say if mine does have a problem with focus when using that feature or not.
IF I had time, which I won't have for at the least the next week, I would give it a try just to check.

So whilst owning and operating a 7D for a bit over 12 months and some 10 000 frames, I can honestly say, any out of focus images have been down to me and me alone.