I have a MacBook Pro 17" (mid-2009 model).

It came with a Seagate ST9500420ASG hard disk (500GB @ 7,200rpm), which also features Seagate's 'G-Force Protection'.

I'm finding these days that 500GB simply isn't enough, and at some stage I'd like to replace my hard disk with a larger-capacity model.

It seems that until fairly recently, it was not possible to buy a 2.5" (ie, laptop) hard disk which offered a capacity larger than 500GB as well as 7,200rpm speed. I don't consider 5,400rpm or 5,200rpm to be acceptable for my needs, so I want 7,200rpm.

I recently discovered the existence of the Seagate ST9750420AS, which is a 750GB hard disk with 7,200rpm speed.

While this model is the largest-capacity 7,200rpm laptop disk Seagate presently offers, it doesn't offer G-Force Protection.

Whether or not I actually need that feature is debatable, as I am careful with my laptop and it's generally unlikely to cop a jolt or drop while the read/write head is above the disk platter.

Do I need that feature? Is it recommended or even essential?

750GB is about the minimum capacity I'd want. 1TB would be ideal.

Have any MBP owners replaced their HDD with a larger-capacity model (ie, 750GB or greater) which offers 7,200rpm speed? I'd be interested to hear which makes and model(s) you've used.

I am partial to Seagate disks, and having used them in a service provider environment some years ago, I found them to be very reliable; I trust them. Yes, I've had two of my personal disks fail, but any hard disk can fail. However, I am not unwilling to run with another brand.

I did look at Western Digital's offerings, but unfortunately its 2.5" disks greater than 500GB only offer a maximum speed of 5,400rpm.

I have a feeling that finding a 750GB or 1TB disk @ 7,200rpm isn't very likely at this stage, and so far only the Seagate I found suits my requirements.

The question is whether or not the G-Force Protection is essential.