Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Just to add yet another story, another friends wedding, they hired a pro, I did take my camera along (my husband and daugter, who was only 3 at the time, were both in the wedding party! Couldn't NOT take my camera! LOL).
However I did chat to the tog while we were there (as I was 'behind the scenes' too to help my daughter get ready). He didn't mind at all with me there, we quite often had a little friendly photography related chat. This was LONG before I started taking photos for anyone else mind you.
ANyway, even back then I didn't 'steal' his shots. He set them up and I just stood back and watched. I did get a few of my own in between. But after the ceremony when the tog was doing the usual shots with the new couple & their guests, he would set up, take the photos, and then say "Anyone else like to take some phtoos, now's your chance'. He allowed all the guests to come and tkae photos before moving to the next set up, and he'd do the same again. He was a really nice guy and I think everyone appreciated him inviting the guests to take some photos for themselves.
I have had a very similar experience, I took shots from my spot (all the guests were standing as it was at Sydney Harbour) I stayed right out of the way and as far from the pro tog as possible. When it came time to the formal shots he set them up and after his shoot he then handed it over to the guests (about 10 of us) with cameras to take our shots. He even offered me and some of the others some advice. Respect does go a long way. After the couple had already received their pro shots, I gave them a disc with mine on it. they were very happy with some of my shots as the pro left half way through the reception and I had continued to shoot. I was also the only one who got a shot of the cars, yes even the pro missed that one.

I guess that it can be good that some of the guests take their camera but they must respect the pro's (and couples) rights and wishes, wait your turn and not get in the way.