Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post

(And I still don't see what the big thing is about insisting on copyright on yet another 1000 wedding photographs of which a typical wedding photographer must have disks full.)
Rob are you arguing against the photographer being allowed to use the photographs for promotion ?? If so, 1. What good are disks full if you cant use them for anything ??, and 2. If everyone insisted on their wedding photographs remaining completely private, how would a photographer ever be able to build a body of work to present to potential clients, either in the form of print albums, or web galleries etc. ??

You ask why photographers insist on being able to use the images, but I would also ask why do couples insist on keeping everything completely private, particularly given Ricks earlier post about the sharing aspect of the social networking phenomenon ??

I just think everything comes down to negotiation and compromise. At the end of the day, everyone has the right to not go ahead if they are not happy with the terms. However, as I said previously, in my very recent experience, the norm seems to be that most photographers have no problem agreeing to not on-sell images, but do insist on being able to use wedding images for promotional purposes. Fair enough for most people I say.