Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with scanning software?
I'm just starting to experiment with Epson Scan in professional mode and I'm trying to get the best out of it. I've also heard about Silverfast and Vuescan but I'm gonna stick to Epson Scan first and see b4 purchasing anything else.

Some questions:
1. Are there any profiles to download for specific films?
2. How do you approach exposure in relation to scanning?
ie. Are digitised files from scanners linear in nature, like in cmos/ccd digital capture and if so, do I also try to "scan to the right" so to speak in terms of the histogram then correct in photoshop.
Or do I try to scan things as close to what I see on the film.
In trying to do an accurate scan, do you just not play with any exposure settings, leaving everything on '0' or 'defaults.'
b) How do you 'salvage' slightly underexposed or overexposed films?
Does scanning to the right (histogram) improve the PP latitude of the digital files?
3. How much sharpening do you apply? I'm finding I need/can sharpen a fair bit without too much artifacts, moreso than with my digital capture files anyways.
4. How do you get the sharpest scan?
I'm using a V700 which has dual scan sensors, one set to focus ~3mm above the glass and one on the glass flatbed. I'm finding the + setting using the film guide area achieving the best results but looking at the film mounted in the guide, I can see the film sag very slightly which leads me to believe I may get better results laying the film flat on the bed.
5. How do you feel about PP film scans. I'm playing with the files and seemingly 'improving' the results but after I improve things, I feel I'm not staying true to shooting that particular film and have somehow lost some of the film character which is the reason I'm experimenting with film in the first place.