Hi All

New member to Ausphotography and new DSLR user here.

I had a Canon G9 which has been a faithful little servant for the last 18 months or so but I decided it was time to upgrade to a DSLR.

I recently purchased a Nikon D90 and an AF-S Dx 35mm f/1.8g which I am having fun playing around with at this stage and learning the ropes.

Fortunately for me, I have the option of getting another lens for Christmas from the other half and wanted advice on what the best option is for the long term.

On one end of the spectrum, I've looked at picking up an 18-105mm VR lens as a "general walkaround lens" which as a beginner will enable me to kick off learning the DSLR ropes at a fairly affordable price.

At the other end, I'm looking at whether I should invest straight up in other glass that would suit what I most likely will end up shooting. From my G9 days, I mostly only ever took portrait type photos (friends and family etc), or landscape/architecture photography whilst travelling etc. Im also looking at having a crack at macro photography at some stage.

My question is whether I should start out slowly with an 18-105 or is it wiser to invest in other lenses from the beginning?