I'm in the middle of redesigning my website into something a lot simpler and easier to manage, but this time from scratch rather than using a generic template. I currently use coppermine which is basically full-on gallery software but I'm after something simple as well that I can drop in an existing page I've designed. It's only going to hold a relatively small number of images so I won't need to split into separate galleries, categories etc - just thumbnails, description and main image.

From the screen dump below, I'll have some free text to the left, then what I'm after is something that will fill the areas I've highlighted with the red boxes. Basically I want to 1) fill the "column" in the middle with a scroll-able box of thumbnails and 2) at the bottom I'd like to include a caption/description with ability to include html capability/links etc. The main image is obviously shown as is.

Any suggestions on existing gallery software or code where I could just "drop" it into that space. Even if I rebuild a page around the gallery itself that's fine. I just don't need the full capabilities of software like coppermine here, plus I don't know coppermine well enough to redesign it into what I want (and it doesn't allow html in the description anyway). Trying to keep it minimal and simple, so hopefully there's something equally minimal and simple to use (which, I know, is probably wishful thinking).

Any suggestions/advice welcomed.