Thread: Exposure Bias - Setting Issue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exposure Bias - Setting Issue

Just over the last few days an issue has arisen and it is obviously a setting. I think that I have resolved it but I would like to be sure by gaining some input because I still do not totally understand it all.

A few days ago I took some photos and all was good. The equipment in use was:

Nikon D200
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

I took some photos of Roses, they were quite bright and over exposed and it was reported to me the Exposure Bias was indicated as +3 in the Exif Data. I think that is when and why I made the change, but I can't remember exactly WHAT I changed

So I believe, I think, I probably or I may have altered the settings. (Covered all bases LOL)

I took some images 2 days ago, it was cloudy but not that bad. The Cockys came home for a snack and Taylor had a dozen or so within 5 foot of where I was kneeling. I took some photos in Full Auto and I also took a couple on Shutter Speed priority and also Aperture priority so I could compare the different DOF's and just see what results were thrown up.

The images when uploaded into the computer looked very very black and very dark. Certainly different from normal. I took 39 in total this is just a few in a screen clip to show the computer screen and how dark they are on the screen and when you open the files.

Bias Of Files.JPG

When I opened in RAW, if I hit Auto Adjust on colours they brightened up immediately and were ok. I edited one as normal and saved as a jpeg to compare in the screenshot. So the issue was easily resolved but obviously is an issue.

Cocky-Issue-Post.JPG

The Exif Data varied and showed various amounts between -1.5 and one was as high as -9.

Bias-Details.JPG

The problem is that I am not sure exactly what setting I need to adjust to alter of affect the exposure Bias.

That term is not what I see in the settings. I did do a manual "Quick Reset" but although many things changed, I do not believe that this issue did. The uploads of any images taken then were still very under exposed.

I have been through the Settings Menu, focused on the Exposure / Metering Branch and I have checked, altered and fiddled with settings. All seems to be correct and complient with the recommendations Ken Rockwells Manual suggests. A tests photo outside seems correct but today is very sunny.

I just don't want to go out sometime, see a great opportunity and then have it spoilt by this issue again. As such, I think running it by the Forum will probably be the easiest way to fix the problem because i'm sure someone has had this issue before. I'm really sure it's a setting...... but which one?

Any advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by Snooks; 13-10-2018 at 10:57am.
    I use a Nikon D200 and a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens . I do most of my editing in Gimp 2.10

My friends refer to me as "Snooks"