I have a Nikon D750 body, a Nikon D7000 body and my longest lens is a Tamron 70 - 200 F2.8 SP Di VC USD (Generation 1). It's a great lens for event photography and most of my telephoto needs but I occasionally dabble in wildlife, where it is too short. My budget doesn't at all stretch to a second hand auto focus, VR, 400mm or 500mm lens, so predictably, I'm considering a Teleconverter. This opens the Pandora's box of comparability. I understand that I will lose 1 stop or 2 stops for 1.4 and 2X respectively. I'm also willing to accept slightly slower autofocus speed, providing that it works in the first place. Some users are happy enough with sharpness, so I think I will be too.

A seller on Gumtree advertised a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DG 1.4X for Nikon, specifically claiming that it works with the Tamron 70 -200 F2.8 Di VC USD lens. But he admits that sometimes the camera "disconnects from the lens. All you need to do is re-fit the lens and it's good again." Also, the picture of the box he supplies has a sticker on it - "For Nikon AF".

I've read contradictory reports on the net regarding compatibility, especially auto focus support. Kenko states that the Teleplus Pro 300 DGX 1.4 " are compatible only with genuine lenses and Tokina lenses" (with one exception). But various forums and at least one reviewer claim that Nikon autofocus works with the older Tamron 70-200 F2.8 lens and the Kenko 1.4X, but not the 2X model. A further complication is that it is possible that it depends which focus motor in-body Nikon model is used. Given the Gumtree sellers experience of an unspecified camera losing the lens' electrical connection, this would explain confusion among contributors to various forums.

If I had the Nikon D7100 instead of the D7000, I would use the Tamron 70 - 200 on it more often for telephoto shots because it is 24 MP - the same as my D750. But the D7000 is 16 MP. I don't want to sell and buy bodies again at this point. I mainly use a Nikon 18 -105mm lens on the D7000. I am considering buying a Nikon 70-300 lens for the D7000, but I'm not sure where the value, or most usage for the money, lies on my budget.

Does anyone have any real world experience with a D750, a Tamron 70 -200 F2.8 SP Di VC USD G1 and Kenko Pro 300 DGX Teleconverters?

I'm also open to other lens recommendations, but given my situation, I may have to admit defeat and continue heavily cropping photos taken with my 70 -200 Tamron.

Ross M