Those of you who are retired, I am seeking your advice.

I am 56 and my wife is 61. We are looking to retire in a couple of years. In my current job, I can work from home but I find that I go stir crazy if I spend all day at home, so I will usually find a customer to visit at some stage or a reason to go into the office. My job pays well. I have great employers. I am pretty much left to my own devices. I am a little bored but still enjoy it. We can afford to retire in two years, I think.

My wife's parents both died in their 60's so she is keen to retire and travel and enjoy life before her imaginary life expectancy. Plenty of her relatives lived into their 90's so I think that she will be around for years yet. I come from a line of people who live well into their 90's. My 91-year old mother only decided this week to stop helping out at the local school three days a week because her balance is letting her down. So, we both may be around for 30-40 years or so. My inability to sit still for a single day currently worries me.

My wife tells me that I can fish, play golf, and take photos to fill in my day.

I really want to understand how retired people fill their day and if they regret retiring too early or too late. I have had conversations with people who think that the greatest aspect of retiring is being able to sleep in until noon. That worries me.