Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying first DSLR

Hello everyone,

First post, I have been reading through the threads here and the learning center.

I have a 12 year old daughter who is quite art orientated, shows an interest in photography as an extension to what she likes doing now.

I also have an interest in photography but I am time poor.

Myself and my daughter have been practicing with our point and shoot Canon Ixus 105 (have achieved what we think are nice photos ), it has a basic manual function that allows some learning for us. But it has internal dirty patches on the lenses and the zoom is starting to play up.

So I have spent some time over the last couple of weeks researching DSLR camera's mirror and mirrorless. Have been looking hard at Canon 5d / Nikon d750 and Sony A7 second hand, but as usual I start to wonder are these over kill for what we are doing.. and how do I really know if they are in good condition. And do I really need a FF camera?

So I went down to ***revoved per site rules*** this morning with my daughter first to see what cameras fits in her hand comfortably, second to have a look through the menu system and see how easy it was to understand.

After playing with the Sony A7, then onto the Nkon D750 and the canon 700d, we had a play with the cheaper Nikons, D3300, D5500 and the D7100...

Em settled on the Nikon D5500 as being most comfortable and being used to Ipads etc the touch screen set-up she really liked, (I am old school, i still have buttons on my mobile phone).

***removed per site rules*** I am happy to go down the body only path and buy a better quality lenses then the kit only, as reading on here I have found you can have great camera but poor lenses = dud picture. But average camera with great lenses = good picture.

So what I am after is what lenses should I get. We are right at the beginning... In my head with what I have read there seems to be a like for a 18-200mm set up, allowing diversity in what we do. But what is good quality for $1000 to $1500 in a Full Frame lens that I can use on the D5500 body?

I am happy to buy a cheaper body as per above, but the accessories I am happy to put some better money into allowing for upgraded body later... better lens better tri-pod etc...

Any guidance on a FF lens would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Shane

(See Site Rule 3 in partucular here: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...hp?do=vsarules)
    Thread moved to General Help forum.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 28-12-2015 at 1:03pm.