It's too wet to go outside and play with my real quadcopter, so I was playing with a tiny Hubsan X4 inside.
I had the idea of putting a shot of it on Facebook to show how bored I was that I had resorted to playing with a toy quad inside.
That idea then lead to occupying the next 2 hours of my day....

Not content to just use my phone and snap a blurry OOF shot with one hand, while trying to fly the thing with the other two hands, I decided to play around with trying to get a shot where a painting my father did, of an aerial shot of Sydney Harbour, would end up being the background, and tweaking my lighting and DOF to try and fake up a shot that looks a little like it's been taken outdoors.

Well, the Hubsan is a nice stable beginner's quadcopter, but it's still a 2 handed job to fly it and keep it RELATIVELY in one place, which doesn't leave too many hands to operate the camera - let alone get a good focus on the moving quad.

Took 144 attempts to get 3 or 4 reasonable results. This was the best of them.
Ended up having to tuck a remote shutter release upside down under the radio transmitter for the quad, and try and fire it while the quad was in approximately a pre-focussed point. Unfortunately, it's really noisy too, as it's a grey wet miserable day here, and my house is dark at the best of times, so had to crank up the ISO.

I might have to try again on a bright sunny day with some decent light.

IMG_5533net by Ezookiel, on Flickr