Definitely not your fault Waz!

It's all Nikon's doing(or is that undoing! )

While NX-D does have a couple of useful features .. they are only useful if you grew up on a diet of previous free Nikon software.
In some instances, NX-D is slightly better than CNX2(the only feature that I can confirm so far is the split screen view, where CNX2 doesn't offer one!)

I'm still persisting with using NX-D .. but only in a sense of seeing what it can do for me, that I can't already do.

If it weren't for its lack of speed and inability to do simple things like add ITPC(metadata) info, I'd probably prefer it to ViewNX2 as my primary raw viewer/converter.
Oh! and it doesn't integrate as well with Nikon's Transfer2 either.
That is, you can induce Nikon Transfer2 from within ViewNX2 if need be, but there is no native tool to do so in CNX-D! (and it doesn't have any useful means to transfer files to the PC).

Like I said earlier .. its as though Nikon have almost deliberately made the decision to forgo any attempt at producing useful software that makes it easy to do stuff(simple stuff) with software that work together.

Adobe successfully(this could be argued tho!) use a multitude of software that work together to allow the user to do meaningful stuff to their images.
eg. you don't use Photoshop to view your raw files, but using ACR to initially view and do preliminary stuff .. then onto Bridge to do more stuff .. then into Ps to do the real stuff, you do eventually get a file(although not raw!) into Ps to do your stuff to it.

Nikon have ViewNX2 which is the most basic of software .. as I said .. really only does preliminary raw editing, such as whitebalance, exposure correcting, tonal adjustments and so on on a global basis.
This was handy because to view and sift through many images in CNX2 was a bit of a nightmare compared to how easy it is in VNX2.
So in effect, VNX2 was to Nikon's software ecosystem what ACR and Bridge are to the Adobe system.
That is, you don't use ACR to do complex editing on your files .. you use Ps for that! ..
In the Nikon system, this is where CaptureNX2 came into the equation! .. simple and effective

Now, you have a new software, that sits between the two established software from Nikon, but for all intents and purposes doesn't fit between them in any manner.
It's a totally new workflow that doesn't help.
In fact not only does it not help .. it's more annoying than anything else.
If you want to replace ViewNX2 in your workflow for NX-D, you can't make any preliminary edits in NX-D that carry over into the raw file in CaptureNX2. The raw file is sent to CNX2 in tiff format, which defeats the purpose of using CNX2
If you add any metadata to the file via CNX2, it's only present in the tiff file if you want to take it back into NX-D(eg. for review or comparison purposes) and hence the metadata isn't present in the raw file.
(it begs the question .. what's the point??!!).
The if you add any metadata into a raw file via CNX2(for example) and then open the raw file in NX-D .. the raw file is locked from editing again in NX-D, unless you reset it to edit it in any way(which is simply lunacy).

if this gives the impression that much is broken in the Nikon software team .. that's because that's exactly what's happened.

Thom says:
“completely avoid because it’s a waste of time”
.. which is an accurate assessment if you want any sort of integration(as there used to be).
Although I disagree with him on it's failure to pass his Photo Mechanic -> CNX-D test! Why would Nikon want to bother with this form of interoperability?(I can't see any NEED to use PM as an initial point of call for raw files!! )

NX-D is more of a curio!
A curious piece of software that is probably best described as beta software for just checking out what it may do.
Maybe in a few years time .... if they produce a CaptureNX-D Pro, which would parallel what CaptureNX2 used to do, we might see what Nikon's end goal is supposed to be.

But you should have no fear of having wasted any time in altering anyone to any news worthy for consideration(no matter the product being discussed).

and FWIW, if anyone else is trialling NX-D too .. there is a new v1.01 update for Windows(only) that fixed some bug (that I couldn't produce, but still doesn't fix the bug that I consistently see!).