Why does a person who's held a camera for over sixty years suddenly want to ask questions of experts on how to hold a camera? I'm now using a Canon SX50, and there's a nice bulge on the right hand side that seems to be just right for holding the camera and reaching buttons BUT buttons I don't want to press seem to get pressed with the "palm" of my thumb while I'm doing something else, and giving me surprises and problems.

The other day on the news I noticed a news photographer who seemed to be using her left hand to support or hold her camera by the lens. Granted it was a long lens, but it made me wonder whether that's the way to do it. On my Canon there is room for my left hand to grip the camera with the forefinger resting up on the flash unit. meaning the right hand is not taking all the weight. Thus the palm isn't pressing into any buttons. There must be a design intention, supposition, provision that I'm not automatically latching on to. Where does one find pictures of how people are holding this kind of camera? The only button that's hard to press in is the video one, though I suppose that's just as well. Accident prone people like some of us sitting in my chair would soon fill up the SD card.

Okay, thanks, what advice do you 'experienced-with-nice-cameras' people have to offer?