I'm in a strange predicament. With no formal training in photography, I'm looking to broaden my knowledge and play in areas outside my comfort zone, but I have no intentions of ever having a full or part time commercial involvement (other than the current charity work I've done) in photography so I don't think it will ever move further than being a hobby.

This is partly due to the fact that I have an existing career path which is probably more successful than I would ever be at photography, and partly because I don't believe I am actually talented enough to be really successful at photography. I believe that anything in art requires both skill and talent, and sadly in my case, while I can learn the skills, there are many out there who have a far better eye than I have. That said, this isn't about self pity, or looking for people to cheer me up, because I enjoy Photography as a hobby, much the same as I enjoy many other sports whilst knowing I will never be a sports professional (unless an armchair critic qualifies me as a sports professional)

Essentially, I'm looking to build my base of skills. To date, everything I have is self taught, playing with settings, feedback etc. Most of my exposure to post processing centres on some youtube tutorials and basic photoshop skills, so while I can do basic image manipulation, lighten shadows etc, I don't really understand enough to play with the levels on a photo.

I know there are options like the Diploma in Photo Imaging but I am not sure whether it would be practical to attend these when I have no intention to move into the professional photography field.

Is it worth seeking out specific courses like portraiture or studio, or would it be more practical to do something like the diploma photography as a whole on the basis that it may address some of the foundation layers that I may be missing.