Alright, so I did my first official event which was a charity event for Cancer called Across the Bay for Cancer. The guys kitesurfed across from Rosebud to Port Melbourne and raised about $20k for the cancer council. It was obviously not a paid event but I did get a rashie and a yellow wrist band if that counts

I did the previous year but it was more of an informal capacity because I live across the road from the beach and I came down to take some pictures at the request of one of the organisers. This year, I was asked to do the entire event from start to finish so I drove up to Rosebud for the start and then drove back for the finish.

I have to say, as a first timer on an event, I suddenly started to realise what photographers talk about when it comes to the public and being in the way. For a lot of the organised photos (i.e. I had got the group together for a photo), friends and family rushed to position themselves in the middle while I was organising things and I suddenly found myself in a position where I battled to get a decent photo and I had to get people to move aside so I could actually get the photo without 10 family members pointing cameras in front of me or in view. I have a new found respect for any event photographers like wedding photographers, because I can now understand how difficult and annoying it can be.

All in all, I took about 800 photos for the event and was left with about 450 that I published. Post processing was done at speed so I didn’t spend that much time on each photo. (the event happened Saturday)

The full event photos are here, but here are a couple of the shots from the event:

http://atholhill.smugmug.com/Sports/...r-Cancer-2014/