We will have a car while in Spain and Portugal and public transport in Paris. And walking. I am mainly wondering whether I should buy the 24-105/4 for this trip and sell it when I get back to Oz? I have a 1d4 and a 5d2, and am thinking of taking the 1d4. I will definately take my 16-35/2.8 for wide angle.

However, rather than taking my 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 (which are quite heavy to carry around, and have very specific focal lengths, and in particular, the 70-200 while great for subject isolation, isn't really a general purpose lens), I am wondering if I should buy the 24-105/4 as a light weight general purpose lens for the trip? However, I don't want to go to the effort of buying and selling the lens if I will be disappointed with the lens's performance (especially in comparison to my usual lenses). However, I also know when I went to Japan with the two 2.8 lenses, I hardly used the 70-200 at all, because it was so heavy and cumbersome when I was walking everywhere, and its focal length also meant I missed context on close to the action shots.

Thanks for your thoughts!