I'm hoping someone can help me with suggestions, tips or advice...or all three.
5 years ago we bought a Canon EOS40D, since then we have taken about 21,000 photos mainly of our kids playing AFL, Netball, Rubgy League, Soccer and Cricket.
We have 2 lenses EFS 17-85 1:4-5.6 IS UM and a EF 70-300 1:4-5.6 IS UM. We have had some amazing photo's taken over these years.
Although we have taken a lot of photo's, we still class ourselves as beginners as we take these photo's in the auto sports mode.

I recently decided to upgrade only because the 40D was a few years old and based on the advice from the guy at the camera shop we bought an EOS 7D and obviously still have the same lenses. I have now found that the 7D is not as auto as the 40D and does not have a "Sports Mode" as such. I have had a bit of a play with different settings, but the photo's are not the same quality that we were getting with the 40D, this is hopefully where I hope someone can help me out.

So below are a few questions.
1- Have I been given the correct advice to go to the 7D ?
2- Would the 40D or the lenses deteriorate over time taking 21,000 photos ?
3- We are looking at getting the A0465 CANON EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens is this a good buy to use with the 7D once we sort the settings out ?
4- Would the A0465 CANON EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens work okay with the 40D ?

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecited.
Thanks