Been a bit of this happening lately around Oz.

Every so often I do a google image match search just to see where my images are appearing.

Usually picks up where I have posted an image a forum, but was surprised to see one of my images adorning a local real estate website as part of a rotating image gallery of three images.

riverside reality image theft v3.jpg

The low quality looked like it was a screen capture. Not sure where from yet.

I sent the real estate a polite e-mail with a screen dump, explaining that the image was mine and used without permission and should be removed, otherwise I would pursue further action.
But I also attached an invoice and offered to sell them a full res image

Had a confused call from an office girl who said that the real estate doesn't actually choose the images - but their hosting site realestate.com.au does.

Anyway I submitted an e-mail query to the site, but no reply...so I sent a fax to the CEO at head office on friday. Might as well start at the top!
A call from head office pointed the finger back to the local real estate, as they don't organise local images.

But a very apologetic e-mail from one of the senior real estate people said neither he nor the principal was not aware of where the image came from. Their ISP people look after that.

Anyway, after going in circles, to the real estate's credit, the image was promptly removed. Still not sure exactly who put it on their site - I'm guessing an IT pleb who didn't know any better was tasked with giving the web site some local flavour.

So a timely reminder - it definitely pays to check regularly where your images turn up.