Thread: D600

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by znelbok View Post
    What would you guys recomend as a lens to get initially with this camera. I eventually want an UW lens for landscape and my previous lens was an 18-135 which I found good for general purpose work.

My initial lens list is
    14-24 f2.8
    24-120 f4 or 24-70 f2.8
    70-200 f2.8

The 24-70/120 would be the lens that I am initially looking for, or something similar. These a Nikon lenses, but looking at Sigma I see some lenses that are significantly cheaper with similar specs
    e.g. Sigma 24-70 f.28 for $690 compared to the nikon 24-120 f4 $1100 or nikon 24-70 f2.8 $1540. As you can see the Sigma is significantly cheaper (under half the nikon) and I am concerned that I am missing something important between the two (three) lenses.

Thanks

Mick
    when I went from Pentax to Nikon..I made the move as I wanted a 70-200Vr II..plus I wanted a camera that had better AF than the pentax K5 had....I looked at Nikon lens lineup and that too made the decision to go with Nikon easier.

the point I'm trying to make is DSLRs are only part of a system, the lenses are the other part.....most people go with Third party due to cost, when I was with Pentax it was due to a manufacturer lens not being available for the FL that I wanted.

I read reviews, I look at the lenses first hand , up till now the Nikon lens has always been the best choice for me ...but they are expensive, but you get what you pay for I believe...

so if you can stretch for it get the Nikon lens..after all what did you buy a D600 for ..if it wasn't to use Nikon Glass ?

as far as your lens choice...I love my 70-200...then the 24-70...so Id get a 70-200 first...its the most expensive , so get that pain out the door early I say ...but if it were between a 24-120 or the 24-70, Id buy the latter

I would prefer to buy only one lens and it be outstanding, rather than three ok ones for the same money YMMV
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 18-10-2012 at 4:54pm.