Hi All,
Hope this is in the right place??

My 5D Mkiii doesnt have a flash and I dont currently own a flash of any kind.

It appears however that I do need a flash of some kind to further develop my Macro skills; over in the Macro CC section this has been pointed out many times.

I like to shoot with the 100mm Macro and extension tubes and so far Ive identified what I think are my options:
1. Standard Speedlite 430, 580, or 600 plus mess about to make a suitable diffuser (like Dennis' example or other similar approaches on Youtube)
2. Canon Ring flash MT-14EX
3. Canon Twinlite MT-24EX
4. El-cheapo LED ring light off ebay

All the reviews Ive looked at and read tend to recommend the twinlite and caution the need for diffusers on the heads. The Canon ringlite seems to get knocked for producing flat images, but otherwise OK. The 'make a diffuser' for a flash may be ok, if I had a flash to start with but Im also concerned about its overall size relative to the objects id want to illuminate. Finally, Im just not sure about the LED ring lights, I suspect they will be harsh and un-controllable.

One concern I also have about making the diffuser like Dennis is that I need to buy a flash and I arent sure I would use it for anything else other than the macro stuff?? In that event I would almost find it easier to spend the money on the twinlite (or some other dedicated macro unit) that I know I will use rather than forever be cursing the comprimise I made by buying a speedlite that isnt perfect for the job and doesnt get used elsewhere.

So there we are, I have a need for something, would rather not spend the $$ on a twinlite but if thats the only real option then I guess I need to start saving!

Any thoughts or words of wisdom from those who have treaded this path before?

Thx
Jon