User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Wedding In Bright Sunlight advice Needed PLease.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wedding In Bright Sunlight advice Needed PLease.

Hi everyone,
    I have been asked (ie begged) to shoot a wedding for a budget conscious couple(friends of my daughter's) in December , on a beach on the Gold Coast. ( Groan) So, I said we could do a practice session with the canon 550d to see if they would be happy with me doing the wedding, which we did yesterday around 3-5 pm, no clouds, bright sunlight. Now I studied as much as I could regarding portraits in bright sun. I tried to find some shade , and got some OK shots but trying to get a decent exposure with the water in the background was near impossible. I have some examples of the worst of the worst while i was experimenting with settings. And I have suggested they keep looking for a professional.

1. This is what I was dealing with...

2.I tried to add some fill flash Aperture priority mode, e-ttl mode

2. Switched to manual mode, metered for the sky-1/400 shutter speed but as soon as i turned on the flash the camera automatically put it back to flash sync spped 1/200 so the background still blew out.

How can i best overcome this if I do this wedding as in all probability this will the conditions on the day. We can have as many practice sessions as we like so I can try more ideas. Maybe use a ND8 filter?-I have a cokin P size , Just keep the exposure compensation up when their faces are in shadow and blow out the background? Any other things I can try? Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images