Can't wait until my new 7D arrives. I have the 5D MKII, so adding the 7D was quite indulgent. I love the 5D for landscapes etc, but as I also want to start shooting some sports and wildlife shots, I had two options. I could buy a bigger lens (largest I currently have is a 70-200 f4), or I could utilise the crop factor of the 7D in conjunction with a 1.4 x convertor to get the equivalent of about 448 mm. I know this slows down my 70-200 by a stop, but mostly I would be shooting moving targets in full daylight, so this seemed like the best compromise.

One of my main reasons for going this way was to get a spare body. Swapping lenses can be a pain, so it would be nice to know I can reach into the camera bag and pull out a body with the lens already attached. It will also be nice to have a spare camera when travelling, just in case the 5D dies.

I have not been active with my camera since returning from Europe, so I am really looking forward to getting out with both cameras. One of my passions is Aussie Rules (mad Kangaroos supporter and member of the Suns, as they are closer to home), so the 7D might get some use! This was another factor in my decision.... At a lot of professional sports, they won't allow lenses longer than 200 mm into the stadium (they don't at Metricon). With a 1.4 x in my pocket and the 70-200 on the crop body, I have a lot more zoom than I would with the 5D MkII. The extra FPS won't hurt either!

There is no footy at Metricon this weekend (and no 7D until early next week), so I will head into Brisbane to grab some pano shots of the city.