Hi!

I've been a Canon user since the film era. At the time we could have the best sensor in any camera, it was called Velvia, Tri-X (well that was my taste anyway, some other films were great too).
At the time, there wasn't much that cameras did except for autofocus and Canon was clearly the best. The lenses were and still are more or less the same : very good.
It's only recently that I bought a DSLR. I went with Canon without putting too much thought into it.

I tried taking photos at medium shutter speed when I don't have a lot of light. It just doesn't work well. Up to about 1600 ISO it's kind of OK, then it becomes really terrible.
So I did some research and it seems that Nikon have been consistently making cameras that have between one and two extra f-stops of usable ISO.

There are also a few things that really annoy me in Canon camera software. I can live with the crappy menus, but the lack of proper automation is so silly! Can't even set a minimal shutter speed that triggers extra ISO, or set a minimum/maximum auto-ISO. It's either 100% manual or go with their factory set preferences...

Anyway, people who have used Nikon and Canon, what are your views on this?
Do some Nikon or Canon cameras have useful automation or is it only the 7D that is silly like that?

Cheers