My wife got a new iPad last week and i have to admit the new display really is amazingly crisp. This started me thinking about what is now available for additional storage options for iPad and Android tablets when travelling. I've been very anti tablets for this purpose as to date there doesn't seem to be any better solution than a laptop and a couple of USB drives.

After too much time on google last night I've come to the conclusion that IOS and Android still have no decent third party solutions

All I really want is to tag, keyword and backup photos in NEF or RAF raw formats - or something else if I ever move from Nikon or Fuji - to external storage. IOS seems to use Apple DCR so has no problem with RAW file types but Android seems to be a bit more hit and miss. I know there are card reader/hard drive/viewer devices but these don't provide the ability to at least tag or keyword uploads either.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this? My thinking is I'll be carrying my 13" laptop and 2 usb drives around for a while longer.