Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Hard drives?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I neglected to mention is that external HDDs are almost always formatted for use on Windows systems.

You can buy external HDDs which come packaged with the "for Mac" nomenclature, but all this means is that they are pre-formatted using Mac OS X's native filesystem format, and probably include Mac versions of the backup software (or whatever comes with them).

Annoyingly, I've seen that 'for Mac' versions are more expensive, and really, there's no reason for that condition to exist.

Disks are just magnetic platters, which can be formatted using whatever filesystem your OS supports. Formatting a disk is a simple exercise.

If you wish to use the HDD manufacturer's software, a version for your OS can be downloaded from the manufacturer's Web site.

My advice to Mac users is not to bother with 'for Mac' versions, particularly if they're more expensive than the Windows versions.

Disks are OS-agnostic. What matters is the formatting you apply, and the availability of software (if you need it) for your OS.

As per my previous post, I don't use any of that software; I just want a big, plain disk.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's usually some backup software, and if you install it you will by default set a certain backup schedule.

I just ignore it and make other folders that I need, but I leave it just in case I might want to install it some day.

Once (ages ago) these HDDs came formatted with FAT32 file system, and you had to "convert" it to something more up-to-date, like NTFS.

BUT I saw in the PDF yours is already NTFS. Since your computer is running XP its HDD is also NTFS, but even if it's not (hard to believe) you could still just plug in the external drive and wait for it to be recognised. Then use away!
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 19-02-2012 at 6:28pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, you lost me after about the 3rd post
    My canon 7d upgrade, only 1 week old.............awwww bless

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote AM : BUT I saw in the PDF yours is already NTFS. Since your computer is running XP its HDD is also NTFS, but even if it's not (hard to believe) you could still just plug in the external drive and wait for it to be recognised. Then use away!
    Thanks AM, Thats what I'm doing , When I need it with the computer running I just plug it in and away it goes , When finished before I shut down I just click on the Safely remove icon at the bottom , And alls good , I have'nt installed the stuff that I found that came with it ? Just not keen on Plugging and unplugging the USB Lead thats all , Sorry , I know this sounds like very nooby stuff , Should I try leaving it connected and let it shut down with the computer at the end of the day , Sounds like I cant use the On/Off switch unless I install the Watcha Ma call it thingy
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the very last point, William: If you want to switch off your external HDD while you're still working on your computer, you have to first (in XP) "Safely Remove Hardware".
    At the bottom right hand side of your desktop task-bar you will see a symbol as shown in the attached image. Click on the drive/hardware you want to disconnect, then wait for the message "Safe to remove...", then switch it off/unplug the USB lead, etc.
    Am.

Safely.jpg
    Last edited by ameerat42; 19-02-2012 at 9:28pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12