User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Cairns - Palm Cove

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cairns - Palm Cove

Hi guys. I've read all the threads I can find on Palm Cove but none too recent. We're going up there in a few weeks, and was wondering what places in and around Palm Cove are a must see
    Last edited by spides; 15-02-2012 at 11:30pm.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is not much at Palm Cove except for the only beach in Cairns. Daintree forest cruise, chairlift and a walking track near the airport. If you hired a car the Atherton tablelands are a good drive. There was a walk just north of Cairns where you go up into the hills and you ens up walking around a large circle(about an hour or so walking). We came across a cassowary which scared the living daylights out of me but the better half kept walking as she had not heard about the danger from these magnificent birds. White water rafting is another option as well as walking to the hydro plant. Was a while ago so am pretty rusty on details but a trip to the local tourist guide will set you straight. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was up there in october for my honeymoon and we loved palm cove to bits!!
    theres not much to do in actual palm cove except the beach.. we spent a few hours in the bar/restaurant on the beachfront called apres if i remember correctly, reasonably priced meals and drinks
    you really need to hire a car if you are staying in palm cove as its a good 20 min out of cairns, they do have buses but if you want the flexibility of going when you want then a car will be better.
    there are heaps of sights to keep you busy, we stayed at the reef retreat resort and the owner was thew most helpful fellow you could ever ask for he pointed out the sights and gave great unbiased info on everything even warning us on the dodgy or expensive activities..
    theres the atherton tablelands drive as mentioned above but if you want to see the whole lot properly it will take more than a day to do., theres the hartley crocodile park nth of palm cove i highly recommend taking a look.. its not just all crocodiles, the cable car up to the top of the hills, the train up the hill to karunda? is a must do aswell, and you have to go swimming on the reef aswell!! if the stingers arent to bad this time of year??

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimbob and Brian have summed up a few things and when we went in September a leisurely trip by hire car to Cape Tribulation with lots of stops and photo ops along the way was time well spent.

As usual, the ambience of a place to me is directly related to whether you can get a decent meal, Palm Cove has some very good eateries ranging from cheap and cheerful to just South of decadent. Good food at all of them and a 10 minute bus ride to the Clifton Beach shopping centre turns up quite a nice Thai restaurant.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should've mentioned I have a 3 and 1 year old tagging along, so the big trips are probably out. We have hired a car, though. Just want to find some great photo ops, if that means I take a day out by myself, hopefully the bride wont mind.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how much time you have or how far you want to venture. A bit of research & you'll fill your itinary - A few suggestions;

1. If you have never done it, take the train up to Kuranda - One of the most picturesque railway lines you'll find - tunnels, bridges - should be some waterfalls running after all the rain. Return trip can be done via cable car for a great view. Kids will love it, but it is a big day.
    2. Kuranda has places of interest - Birdworld, butterfly sanctuary, even has a safari park - hippos, rhinos, lions, tigers etc
    3. Barron Gorge can be spectacular after rain - you see it from the train, but can also drive in to the lowere & upper areas - bit of googling should get you more details
    4. The road north to Port Douglas has some great views on a clear day. Winds along the coast. Also up that way - Daintree, Mossman Gorge
    5. Local sightseeing as mentioned above - Croc farm etc
    6. Tablelands as mentioned above - Millaa Millaa Falls, Lake Tinaroo, Lake Barrine
    7. Innisfail (about an hours drive south) - Paronella Park is something a bit different

Cairns also has a swimming lagoon & playground etc on the esplanade to keep the kids amused.

Have fun
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Will attempt to see as all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did your trip go? I hope it wasn't too wet for you!
    CC greatly appreciated
    My Flickr
    Canon 500D, EF-S 10-22mm EF-S 18-55mm IS, EF-S 55-250mm IS, 50mm f/1.8 II