User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Are you into Contemplative Photography?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you into Contemplative Photography?

If you are - see a shameless promotion at the end of this thread ...

The Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan (between India and China) is where I first came across the term "Contemplative Photography". The Bhutan Observer featured a "Contemplative Photograph" of the week. I didnt get it at first - the photographs didnt seem to be about anything in particular but over time they grew on me. When I googled "contemplative photography" I came across Andy Karr's great book "The Practice of Contemplative Photography:Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes".

Maybe "contemplative photography" is what many of us already do, although the definition on Andy's Blog Seeing Fresh is a nice reminder of a great way of "being" when we pick up our camera:

"Contemplative photography is a method for seeing and photographing the world in fresh ways, to reveal richness and beauty that is normally hidden from view. Instead of emphasizing subject matter or the technical aspects of photography, the contemplative approach teaches you to see clearly, and make images based on fresh perceptions."

The Miksang Institute of which Andy is an alumnus is probably the best known training/practice group. They have some very interesting galleries of their graduates work.

In addition to our "regular" photography tours of Bhutan, we are running a Contemplative Photography Tour in Bhutan from November 1 to November 13, 2012 led by Andy Karr. Andy is a meditation teacher and has published textbooks on Buddhism in addition to his contemplative photography book. He will run optional morning meditation practice on this tour and we will share our best shots around a big screen every night. We will visit Paro, Bumthang, Punakha, Trongsa, Phobjika Valley and the capital of Bhutan, Thimphu.

If you would prefer a less "contemplative" photography tour or just a standard tour of Bhutan or trek please check out our website at tourbhutan.com.au Very few travellers get to Bhutan so its quite a unique experience and with the mountains, high passes adorned with prayer flags, and huge majestic temples, colourfully dressed people and festivals - it's really hard to take a bad photograph! Thanks to Ausphotography for the opportunity to be a sponsor!
    IMGP8534_600px.JPGIMGP8368_2.jpgIMGP0150_2.jpgIMGP8869_2.jpgIMGP0407_2.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny. I just watched a documentary on Bhutan last week. The last 5 or so Kings was the main subject and how the country had changed over time. It was interesting.

I think all photography can be or is contemplative. Or maybe that's just me , so it's a yes, I am!

Nice thread.
    Last edited by Kerrie; 13-05-2012 at 5:47pm.

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8