Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EM-5

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just browsing the other day and of all places, Myers had an EM5 on display so I asked to handle it.
    I must say I'm awfully tempted. Well I always had been but now I'm even more itching to pull the trigger. Having smallish hands it fitted me quite perfectly and the dual control wheels are what I'm accustomed to and miss in other smaller cameras I've handled.
    But if I did buy it, it'd complement my D700 though rather than replace it.
    They each have strengths and 4/3 and FX are different enough to justify owning both. Well.. I'm doing everything I can to justify it anyways lol.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just recently picked up a EM5, and really enjoy using it. I think I'll be selling my canon 60d and 17-55 2.8IS. The size difference is amazing when you have both cameras side by side.

I've got a 20mm 1.7 and this combo is awesome and oh so small and light.

I know that it probably isn't as good as aps-c camera but it's so close that I can forgo that to get such a small and light package

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have sold my 60d, 7d, lenses and flashes and purchased 2 x OMD em5's with grips and new lenses etc.

Love this camera and it works for my style of photography.
    Don's miss the weight of the Canon's one bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't one of the other Oly cameras have the same sensor now?

Seems to be the bees knees of mirrorless, but just way, way too expensive for me. If I had a cool $1.5k lying around, there are many things I'd prefer to sink it into photographically than this, but that's just me.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnBloodbeard View Post
    Doesn't one of the other Oly cameras have the same sensor now?
    The updated Oly mirrorless line up of EM5, EPL5 and EPM2 all have the same sensor. Only the EP3 lags behind with the old 12MP sensor but is due for an update soon.
    Last edited by swifty; 08-03-2013 at 4:32pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a pretty cool design and feels good, but I wasnt fully happy with the IQ, from ISO 800 and above. Even though its getting better all the time, the limitations of the sensor size never seems to make me happy for some reason.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the same experience but to me that's acceptable. No issues up to and including ISO 800. 1600 useable if necessary. I don't shoot above that often anyways.
    But as good as it is, I just can't operate it anywhere as quickly as I can on my DSLR but I'm willing to concede that might be down to lack of experience with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i pulled the trigger just over last week - very happy, and felt at home (moving from an e-system). It's an amazing piece of equipment, really amazing.
    Olympus E-30

Lenses:
    9-18mm f4-5.6
    14-54mm f2.8-3.5
    35mm f3.5
    70-300mm f4.0-5.6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had my EM5 for about 6 months after upgrading from my trusty Canon S95.

I mainly use my EM5 underwater in a Nauticam housing using either the 60mm macro or the 9-18mm WA and Im quite pleased with the results, most of my UW photography is macro, I find AF is fast depending on which of three settings I select prior to the dive.

Above water I am getting into landscape photography using the 9-18 with mixed results so far, but that is more to do with my inexperience more than anything to do with the camera or lens, having said that I have found that like Peterb666 I also do some pre-dawn photography and it has trouble focusing in low light conditions.

I also find the 60mm macro lens is good for the occasional portraits that I shoot, Im not sure what lens is next probably the 12mm pancake.
    Im very happy with my EM5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had my EM5 for just over a year now. I have to admit that I am still VERY happy with it.

After the purchase of my EM5, I came to realise pretty quickly that I couldn't see any time soon that I would be reaching again for my Canon 5DII with a few "L" lenses. I would consider myself mostly a landscape photographer. I enjoy bushwalking but found the Canon and one lens (usually 17-40 F4L) just too big and heavy to carry around. The EM5 certainly can not be accused of that!

I have biggish hands and have found some of the buttons on the EM5 challenging at times. One thing I have never been disappointed with is IQ, which in my opinion surpasses the Canon.

I have since sold all the Canon gear and don't intend to look back.
    Shaun.

OMD EM-5 | E-PL1
    MZD 14-42mm II | MZD 12-50mm | MZD 9-18mm | ZD 40-150mm | Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 | Canon FD 100mm Macro f/4.0 | Canon FD 135mm f/3.5 | Canon FD 300mm f/4.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tubedriver View Post
    I have had my EM5 for just over a year now. I have to admit that I am still VERY happy with it.

After the purchase of my EM5, I came to realise pretty quickly that I couldn't see any time soon that I would be reaching again for my Canon 5DII with a few "L" lenses. I would consider myself mostly a landscape photographer. I enjoy bushwalking but found the Canon and one lens (usually 17-40 F4L) just too big and heavy to carry around. The EM5 certainly can not be accused of that!

I have biggish hands and have found some of the buttons on the EM5 challenging at times. One thing I have never been disappointed with is IQ, which in my opinion surpasses the Canon.

I have since sold all the Canon gear and don't intend to look back.
    Gday Shaun
    Interesting to read your thoughts about the EM5. Its certainly a huge step in terms of the sensor and the image stabilization. I have also had mine for over a year and found it exceptional. I have had a series of E series Oly cameras (E1, E510, E3, E-P1, E5 and now EM5) and I would say that the only thing that I felt was lacking was good AF on the older four thirds lenses and AF tracking/CAF. No doubt this will be fixed up (hopefully) with the upcoming E-M1 but the overall image quality of the EM5 is simply great.
    It is hard to go back to the larger heavier camera after using the EM5 especially if you are on the move. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12