User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completed 2 paid jobs in 3 months... do i need to register an ABN?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this thread is now dead, and Elvis has left the building, but I just want to clarify one more statement above. The Aunt Nellie example is not correct. The very first exemption to deducting witholding tax when no ABN is quoted is where the "payer" (as opposed to the payee), "is not making the payment in the course of carrying on an enterprise in Australia". Aunt Nellie does not have to deduct witholding tax.

Once again, DO consult a Tax Accountant.
    Last edited by camerasnoop; 17-02-2012 at 8:07pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    Without looking at the ATO information of the day, my understanding from when I did go through the whole ABN and GST registration fun a few years ago to set up a business (non photography related) was that if primarily conducted the activities as a hobby with no real chance of making a regular profit (which is pretty hard to do if you're considering the equipment and other costs) then it would be classed as a hobby and your 'free to go on your merry way'.
    This was my understanding from the ATO website too. They quoted an example of Joe Bloggs makes furniture from his shed on the weekends and sells a small number per year whilst retaining a full-time job, he is a hobbyist.

Certainly worth checking with a tax accountant though, I'd hate to get slapped with a tax bill for that massive $50 photoshoot
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - deleted -
    Last edited by peterb666; 18-02-2012 at 8:46pm.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you miss the point Peter. If the person paying the amount "is not making the payment in the course of carrying on an enterprise in Australia", then it doesn't matter whether the photographer is a hobbyist or conducting a business. Auntie Nellie is a private person paying for the wedding. She is not doing it as a business, and is not required to withhold.

See here:

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/38509.htm

You'll notice that link is under the "Business" tab on the website. It's also titled as "A Guide for Business". Deducting withholding tax is something that businesses must do. Private individuals would generally not be required to act as tax collectors. To deduct withholding tax, you must register and show it on your BAS Statement. Aunt Nellie isn't required to complete a BAS Statement.

That exemption refers to the status of the payer, NOT the payee - as I pointed out.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct - missed that bit. So yet another out for the hobbiest and the person making the payment.
    Last edited by peterb666; 18-02-2012 at 8:47pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely! And that is why they can undercut the pros in price. So they don't have an expectation of making a profit. They don't have to declare the income (maybe), and no-one has to deduct withholding tax from a wedding payment to them. Those are significant price advantages.
    Last edited by camerasnoop; 18-02-2012 at 8:59pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right. thanks everyone. off to the accountant then..
    Canon 6D, Canon 550D, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6

www.imogenbrandrakers.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a bit late to the party, but I know photographers who have tax withheld by a studio even tho they supplied their ABN

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    a bit late to the party, but I know photographers who have tax withheld by a studio even tho they supplied their ABN
    Then they should be heading to their nearest ATO office and reporting them/it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I told them it sounds weird but they 'just claim it back at tax time' with their deductions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke to an accountant about this last year, and I was told that as long as you dont run in a business - like manner (quite a grey area) you are classified as a hobbyist and free to earn money from your hobby.. He said that there wasn't figures set in stone, but rather the way you run that defines you as a business rather than a hobbyist. I would suggest that you discuss your individual circumstances with an accountant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12