Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCing, Why is it when?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCing, Why is it when?

Why is it when people ask for CC/Critque/feedback, and you give then some, they either,

No 1, Don't like your suggestion,

No 2, Get their back up, when you mention something.

Or,

No 3, Be very blunt/take it hard, when you offer your point of view on an image/picture they have presented for feedback.

No 4, Shit, sometimes they actually agree, Love it. (Good - Bad)

I ask you!!!

Isn't photographyart an individual form, is it not open to like/dislike - opinion?

Why bother saying, Here is my work, what do you think?? and not like all the responses from all, that;s the point of asking, is it not?

I, for one, love HONEST FEEDBACK, sure it might hurt if your best image sucks to others, but the truth should be told.

Isn't this how we improve, if the person with the feedback offers something constructive and maybe, (GOD FOR BID) something technical to better it/you ?

What do you think ????
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Facebook Factor

They are so used to seeing 'nice photo' that when someone is honest, then seeing everyone on facebook loves their work, then it must by you that is wrong.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With you 100%

I was recently approached by an acquaintance, who is new to photography, too new to be putting herself "out there" as a photographer, to critique some of her work.
    First image I commented on, met with complete and unfaltering diss-agreeance with everything I had to say, and believe me the image was bad. Hence I have not offered anything further to this young girls development. Which is a shame, because she does show some signs of ability, but if she won't accept any feedback, when she asked for it, then why should I bother.

I love to get the good, bad and the ugly
    I will generally take on board what is said, try and apply that to future work, doesn't mean that I necessarily like my image any less, I am just able to see the points presented by others.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I know which thread prompted you to start this one...

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Facebook Factor

They are so used to seeing 'nice photo' that when someone is honest, then seeing everyone on facebook loves their work, then it must by you that is wrong.
    How True, It's a shame they can't see past the iPhone 4s (or insert Phone and type) Sh!T pic that they thinks it's it. Get real, Please. Oh, I love it. (I was so Pissed last Saturday night that I'm glad you took a pic so I can Remember it .. LOL

Thanks for decent sites like this one.
    Last edited by MarkChap; 14-02-2012 at 11:25pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    With you 100%

I was recently approached by an acquaintance, who is new to photography, too new to be putting herself "out there" as a photographer, to critique some of her work.
    First image I commented on, met with complete and unfaltering diss-agreeance with everything I had to say, and believe me the image was bad. Hence I have not offered anything further to this young girls development. Which is a shame, because she does show some signs of ability, but if she won't accept any feedback, when she asked for it, then why should I bother.

I love to get the good, bad and the ugly
    I will generally take on board what is said, try and apply that to future work, doesn't mean that I necessarily like my image any less, I am just able to see the points presented by others.
    Mate, all the way,

I took (KIWI's) hard comments the right way, when and still do ask for it, otherwise, how are we to learn/develop our said skills.

Richard and Darre (Sport Forum) offered me some hard, in your face CC, and I learn't so much from it. Thanks to them and so many others on this site, they've made me a better photographer.

Personal note ---- Now, just need to bet aycee and bloody mongo... LOL..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The facebook effect is right everyone is so used to hearing pleasant things they don't like the truth. The politically correct world means no one can say anything bad or its a huge scandal. The worst bit is people who post photos that you can see are bad and expect to hear good things. As someone who is learning i deiberately post photos that aren't quiet there so i can figure out what to do to fix them.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    I think I know which thread prompted you to start this one...
    John,

Maybe, But seriously, If I don't like one of your shots for what ever reason/or love one of your shots for what ever reason. Please.

If I posted (and have done) a shot of a 'Bird' (or insert yours) that I thought was pretty good, and asked for quality feedback, (and got it, thankfully) and they thought it was SHIIEETTEE, How would we improve?

That's the point, is it not?

Mate, I've followed your work on this site, and always tried to be the most Honest I could be, you provide this site with some stunning images, and I always try to provide what floats my boat about it.

thanks,

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMF View Post
    The facebook effect is right everyone is so used to hearing pleasant things they don't like the truth. The politically correct world means no one can say anything bad or its a huge scandal. The worst bit is people who post photos that you can see are bad and expect to hear good things. As someone who is learning i deiberately post photos that aren't quiet there so i can figure out what to do to fix them.
    Love your work MMF, that's what we want to hear. This site, and the fab people on this site, will alwys help...

Enjoy,

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try going on Facebook and giving even a hint of critique. I did recently, to someone who is on AP, to be met by a barrage of abuse from that person's friends. I just removed them as a FB friend, cause I really could not be bothered putting up with the crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it just as annoying or maybe even more when you offer something of a critique or even just a comment and it goes unacknowledged completely. How hard is it to say thanks or just hit the "thanks for this post" button.
    Ok, ignore me and I will ignore you too, easy done.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davsv1 View Post
    I find it just as annoying or maybe even more when you offer something of a critique or even just a comment and it goes unacknowledged completely. How hard is it to say thanks or just hit the "thanks for this post" button.
    Ok, ignore me and I will ignore you too, easy done.
    That is a bug bear for sure.

I personally don't like the "Thanks" "Like" button and have voiced that. I would much prefer, as you, just a simple comment in return, as this is what the OP is looking for.

Thanks mate,

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Try going on Facebook and giving even a hint of critique. I did recently, to someone who is on AP, to be met by a barrage of abuse from that person's friends. I just removed them as a FB friend, cause I really could not be bothered putting up with the crap.
    Too true,

But Rick, where they asking for CC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who is really new to photography, and I give my opinion on basic technique (straight horizions, not chopping off feet, focus, exposure etc), and even though he says thanks, I know he thinks I am just being a prick.

I find the people on this forum take critique on the chin a lot better than most.

When I give comment, I try to put forward the point "this is what I would have done", hopefully this gives them something to try above and beyone their normal style of editing.
    I know nothing about anything, only what I like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    That is a bug bear for sure.

I personally don't like the "Thanks" "Like" button and have voiced that. I would much prefer, as you, just a simple comment in return, as this is what the OP is looking for.

Thanks mate,
    I hope you don't mind the "thanks" button in this respect, i.e. acknowledgement of a post rather than critique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMF View Post
    Slightly off thread but in the same vein when I was working at a theatre in the city this awful noise come from just outside my dressing room as i was warming up, I went out to see and hear a young actor practising one of my songs. I had to tell him to shut up as it was so bad that it threatened to put me off. He said what would i know- well i know you're tone deaf
    and really that will never change i said. 2 weeks later watching TV and on he comes for a singing reality show- i nearly fell off my chair as the judges crucified him saying hasn't anyone told you you're tone deaf- no he says all my friends say i got what it takes....Really!!
    You can call me Jez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy the feedback, not only on my photos but on all the others as well. I think this site is quickly improving my knowledge. All of you mods and experienced togs do a great job nudging us newbies in the right direction, unfortunately although you may lead a horse to water you can't make it drink. some people are just not going to drink.

I am more hesitant to give feedback myself as am not sure how the opinion of a beginner will be taken, sometimes i like things that may not be technically perfect.

PS-slightly off topic but please excuse my typos as due to an injury am lying accross the bed with the laptop on the floor typing.. not easy believe me. but a great oportunity to trawl through the forums and edit my photos

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If people can't take honest criticism about their photos then they shouldn't post images in the first place. It's as simple as that. I'm interested in learning and I'll do very little of that if I thought there was nothing wrong with my photos. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
    I've seen threads where it all goes pear shaped over posted comments about photos that the threadstarter doesn't agree with and I always wonder "Why the hell did you post your pics on a forum specifically designed for CC if you don't like what's being said?" If you don't want CC then post them in the "Not for CC" thread or in your gallery.
    I quite agree with the "Facebook" factor as I experience it myself when I put images on FB for family and friends to see. They usually say "Great pics, nice photo etc." which is fine but their opinions count for very little seeing how they are not serious photographers. That is another primary reason why I participate on Ausphotography because I know that the views that I get about my photos come from those experienced in photography and it is those opinions that I value more. I think that that is another reason why people get upset when they don't get the CC they were expecting because they think they know enough about photography only to discover that, in reality, they don't know very much about it at all.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Maybe, But seriously, If I don't like one of your shots for what ever reason/or love one of your shots for what ever reason. Please.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I saw the thread and I saw the way the guy reacted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to write what I think is "Out of Place" with an image. I try to be truthful. Yes, sometimes it comes back and bites me on the Butt. I'm not going to delete my post, or change it, just to make them happy. But at least I'm honest.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast