User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Cheap lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap lenses

Hi I have been on Ebay and noticed some cheap lenses and I wonder if they are any good. Before you tell me you get what you pay for I don't expect them to be as good as top of the of the range but more a beginners cheap start to see if he likes and uses it enough to cough up the big coin. I understand these are manual focus so no bells and whistles but I'm more worried about clear and sharp pic's that will not be blown up to poster size.
    Here is a link to one I was talking about *removed, please read site rule 4 *
    Also can someone explain to me how these lenses work in laymen's terms and if they are any good.
    *removed, please read site rule 4 *

Thanks in advance for your help
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-02-2012 at 7:59pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rum pig View Post
    Also can someone explain to me how these lenses work in laymen's terms and if they are any good.
    In laymans terms and breaking it to you as gently as I can, they are overpriced junk.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Andrew, junk!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely agree with Andrew, over priced junk!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with all the above the first is just a cheap telescope with a camera adaptor, the second is a mirror type and unless very expensive give very poor results.
    I nearly bought one of the 650-1300 lenses years ago until I spoke to someone who had one gathering dust in the garrage, she wouldn't even give it away.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 14-02-2012 at 6:56pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of like putting a cheap zoom Telescope on your camera with crap optics , I agree , steer away from these
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rum pig View Post
    ..... Before you tell me you get what you pay for I don't expect them to be as good as top of the of the range but more a beginners cheap start to see if he likes and uses it enough to cough up the big coin. .....
    So as you know the score, it won't be reiterated here due to this fact.

What will be explained tho, is that even as a beginner, there is a threshold with lenses, so as to maintain a sense of sanity .. especially as a beginner.

If you acquire a very cheap(and nasty) lens such as these 650-1300mm pringles tubes with recycled automotive windscreens and proceed to capture any images from it, the images will basically turn out to mimic something approaching mush, muck, mulch and mud. You may then be apprehensive about posting images to the forum, if not this, then possibly others .. where you will not then receive any constructive comments to help you to understand how to better your last effort.

Not all cheap lenses will be so crappy in terms of image rendering ability, I have at least two lenses that were cheap.. and much much cheaper than these tele-no-hopes, but they can render some images well(not all, but in the right circumstances, some).

You can find some interesting lenses for a good price.
    if you list the types of images you want to achieve, you may find some practical advice on suitable products,.
    They'll almost certainly be manual everything, and your camera body may be an important factor as to the usability of any lens advice given too.

Don't get too heavily 'sucked into' the telephoto syndrome they can be more difficult to use than you may think.

Not knowing what camera body you have, as a starting point for a cheap telephoto lens that has all the mod cons, a Sigma 150-500mm lens may be something to work towards.
    If you want cheaper than this, specific information is required .. there may be someone with some info to help you out.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your post and thank you for saving me from wasting my money. Sometimes you can get a bargain but I always try and find out from people that have more knowledge than me.
    My camera is a Canon 550d. I like taking wildlife photos as they do not get upset but I like taking them without disturbing the subject so keeping my distance is very help full. I also would love to get into macro photography.
    My lens is the one that came with the camera 18-50mm I also have a 75-300mm canon lens but it has mould on every internal lens so gives photos with a slight haze.
    The Sigma is a good size I would think I will google them to see what they go for. I would be happy to spend a few dollars on a lens like this as it will cover a good range.
    Any recommendations would be most welcome and helpful. Also recommended online shops would be great as Darwin is not the cheapest place to shop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

As a recommendation, avoid to use moldy lens as i may contaminate your camera and other lenses.
    If you buy a 55/250 canon zoom with close up filter you may be able to approach wildlife and macro on budget.
    You stalking ability will be much more important than the zoom size for wildlife anyway

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to give macro a try, may I suggest you buy a set of Kenko extension tubes, then you can use your standard zoom lens and focus in a lot closer and get quite good macro images of insects etc.
    They aren't expensive (under $200 grey for a set of 3), and can be used with virtually any lens, and give great results with true macro lenses too.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pascal110 View Post
    Hello

As a recommendation, avoid to use moldy lens as i may contaminate your camera and other lenses.
    Cheers
    Wow I did not know that. That lens will be banished.
    I like the look of the Sigma but may be pushing the budget at the moment as I need a new tripod and camera bag that I know will be used so I want quality that will last.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you would not read about it but a friend that I lent money to over 12mths and I have not seen since turned up at work with said owing money. I had written this money off, anyway the point is that my budget expanded so I googled the Sigma again and found a place that was selling it for $800 and that seems good compared to others so decided to go for it but then I thought it is a bit big to use as a every day lens so I remembered you saying the canon 55-250 would be good and I could throw on some adapters to make it more universal and they had them for $112 so in the cart that went I also grabbed a canon 50mm that I thought I could use the macro rings on. Anyway I now have the long weight for my lenses and other gear that I bought and I'm back to being broke but lucky I do not need to buy film anymore
    Thank you all for your advice I hope I have made the right choices but I guess time will tell.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are happy to spend a bit of money, look at the Canon 100-400 f4, it's a great lens for wildlife

Re fungus/mould inside a lens. It is just like any other fungus, it produces spores. These spores are tiny and can become airborne (to propogate the fungus to another place). Thus any lens with fungus can transfer fungus spores to your camera body, then to another lens, etc

Keep any lens with fungus away from all your other gear.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 55-250 is still a cheap kit lens and no better than the 75-300. The 18-250 Sigma or the 18-270 Tamron would be a far better alternative at not a great deal more, you would hardly notice any difference between the 250 and the 270, there was very little difference between my Sigma at 250 and the kit lens at 300 when I tested them.
    Keith.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also keep bags of desiccant inside your camera bag/gear
    This will help absorb some moisture ESPECIALLY since you live in Darwin !!!
    Keep all lenses and get dry. I believe you can also buy de-humidifying cupboards for camera gear, but at the very least use desiccant everywhere you store you camera gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    If you are happy to spend a bit of money, look at the Canon 100-400 f4, it's a great lens for wildlife

Re fungus/mould inside a lens. It is just like any other fungus, it produces spores. These spores are tiny and can become airborne (to propogate the fungus to another place). Thus any lens with fungus can transfer fungus spores to your camera body, then to another lens, etc

Keep any lens with fungus away from all your other gear.
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you will never be happy settling for second best - it is better to save and buy a brand name. I have learnt from experience LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stay away from those lenses......... prolly reconditioned lenses from hongkong