User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Noisy Desktop Background

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noisy Desktop Background

Hi team,Normally once I've processed a photo in CS5, and then save it as a .jpg, when I open the file in Windows Photo Gallery, the photo looks fine.A couple of times, I've wanted to set one of my photos as my desktop wallpaper. However I've noticed that when I do this, the photo becomes extremely noisy. So I'm curious as to know why, when I set the photo as the wallpaper does it appear so noisy, compared to when I just open the file and it looks fine? I've added a desktop screenshot below so you can see what I mean...
    Flickr
    Call me Chris

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f4/L IS USM | Canon 430EX II Speedlite | Hoya Pro1 CPL | Velbon Tripod
    Canon EOS 500D | Canon 18-55mm IS (Kit Lens) | Canon 50-250mm IS (Kit Lens) | Marumi Super DHG CPL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know, windoze has all it's own way of seeing the world. Nice pic though.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ?Monitor display settings? (Is it set to at least 24-bit color?)
    ?The original is rather small and pixelates on magnification? (Try using one that's the same width as you monitors native display, eg, 1920 pixels wide.)
    ?Am?
    Last edited by ameerat42; 12-02-2012 at 4:20pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ what ameerat said.

Make sure you save the jpeg with the same dimensions as your desktop and let us know how it looks then.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thanks guys. I resized the image so the long side was 1366px wide. Fixed the problem. Photo looks fine now.

Thanks all for the quick replies
    Last edited by enVision; 12-02-2012 at 5:03pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, if the actual image used for the desktop display is smaller than the native resolution of the screen, it may be set to fit the image to the screen and hence possibly some form of interpolation.

if your screen has resolution of x pixels across and y pixels vertically, just make sure that one of the resolution figures of your images equals the x o y values of the native screen resolution.
    if the image is saved at a resolution that's larger than that of the screen, the OS will down scale it to suit.

I have no display issues on my Win7 or Win XP PCs ... even tho all three or four PCs all have different resolutions. And screen quality on all machines are not really high end screens either.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I realise that now haha. The image was always saved at a much higher resolution (6600px wide), and so when the image was set as the wallpaper, the computer obvioulsy scaled it down, but I think in doing that, it made the image look funny.

In photoshop, I clicked 'Save for Web & Devices'. In there, I set the image to 1366px (which is how many px wide my screen is), and set it to save as bicubic - sharper. This seems to have worked perfectly.