User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: 36mp camera - what about processing times ??

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

36mp camera - what about processing times ??

8 years with the same camera. It is very much feeling its limitations. Seriously need to update Mongo’s camera body (currently 10 mp and very low ISO capacity) to a D800 (36mp)

Mongo believes a RAW 36mp image is about 70mp in Jpeg and about 220mp in Tiff. Mongo works in RAW and mainly Tiff.

Old computer was over 7 years old . Just purchased a new IMac quad core 2.7ghz , 4 gig ram (to be upgraded to 12 or 16 gig of ram shortly) and he not about to buy another computer just to accommodate a new camera body.

Question - what the hell is the new camera’s file sizes going to do to computer processing times and abilities with these figures ???? or is it likely to handle it OK or should Mongo forget about a 36mp camera ?? Do not know if there is an arithmetic or geometric increase in processing times with the file size ??

Do you know what the implications of this are ???
    Nikon and Pentax user

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell Mongo, Am has worked with 120MB tiffs on a core2quad (XP, 2GB ram) with not much need to take a retirement package each time.
    He suspects that Mongo will be OK with those later specs.

Alt. Mongo can roam to The Nikon Talk Forum on DPR, or any of the other 5 Nikon forums, to check the buzz.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo believes a RAW 36mp image is about 70mp in Jpeg and about 220mp in Tiff. Mongo works in RAW and mainly Tiff.
    Wouldn't the Jpeg's be smaller not larger?

I shoot with a 24mp camera (alpha66) and yes the RAW files do come out at 24,416KB. JPEG's in camera vary depending on the shot but are usually somewhere in the 6mp to 11mp range. I shoot RAW and process in lightroom. Not having done much processing in photoshop I have not converted any to Tiff yet.

Processing on my corei5-2500 with 8gig ram works for me. I don't think you'll have much issue with your iMac but more ram will always help.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll be OK, Mongo, as you have a Mac and they seem to be quicker with comparable processors than with Microsoft computers.

It depends on the RAW processors that you use. My Capture One Pro 6 chews up processor speed and RAM, so I ended up getting a new computer to accommodate Capture One, not because of the impending camera.

I am now using an Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz) 4 core processor, 120Gb SSD, 8Gb RAM and 3 x 2Tb of memory in a Raid Array.
    Last edited by Lance B; 12-02-2012 at 12:50pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by filpee View Post
    Wouldn't the Jpeg's be smaller not larger?.....
    LOL! yeah!

I think Mongo has just awoken from one of his siestas after havign just devoured one of his usual photographic subjects, and has yet to warmed up.

70Meg NEF I think translates to about a 150Meg tiff, and is something like a 20-25Meg jpg file.

Coming from a 10Mp camera this is going to translate into huge spike in file sizes, and a tripling of current and past storage needs will be some thing that will also have to be addressed.

Of course AK doesn't have access to NEF files larger than about 25-30Meg when processed heavily, but he has edited 150-200Meg tiff files of the stitched panorama type, and I can't really remember that CaptureNX2 slowed considerably in any way.

My feeling with a quad core latest gen computerised thingy of modern manufacturing practises(ie. fast FSB and RAM capabilities) .. Mongo should be quite OK.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I think you'll be OK, Mongo, as you have a Mac and they seem to be quicker with comparable processors than with Microsoft computers.

What is interesting on this aspect of computer use is that on all of the performance remarks from various users of CaptureNX2 when Nikon finally updated it to 64bit, was that there is a general feeling that Windows based CaptureNX2 use is quite a bit faster than it appears to be on a Mac system(in general). There were exceptions here and there, but most replies to most of the performance based threads that I've come across on the various sites(Flickr, DPR and NG) all seem to indicate CNX2 works faster on Windows than it does on Mac.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huuuuuw..... big thanks guys. This gives Mongo some cause for optimism and relief . Indeed, his furs have started coming down from being raised on edge all morning - not a good sight or attitude.

Arthur, Mongo cannot go to Capture - he will stick with CS5. Mongo is also sure that arthur's megapixel numbers are for more accurate than Mongo's will ever be - so Mongo accepts your figures Arthur. Hibernation often scrambles Mongo's small brain.

So, now , where to buy the D800 without being on next year's waiting list ????? Hmmmmm..........
    Last edited by mongo; 12-02-2012 at 1:30pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo,
    I think your fears are unwarranted.
    With the options available in file and crop sizes with the D800 in real terms no one will be much worse off.

The D700 uncompressed NEF images are around the 24 mb point and compressed somewhat less so I assume that the 75 mb sizes being talked about for the D800 will be the uncompressed sizes as well.
    If one is being very selective and is shooting a handful of images in uncompressed format then processing won't take very long to achieve and the resultant TIFF / JPEG keepers will not overly strain any storage.
    Shooting in a compressed format will obviously result in smaller everything from initial file size to final storage size than the above.
    The beauty with the D800 as I see it is that you will still end up with a 15 mp camera when used in DX mode which will be quite handy for some and of course those files will be smaller once again.

Next years waiting list is already full, join the 2014 buyers group please.

I predict that everyone that they have produced so far is already sold and they will need to get their roller skates on in the Thai assembly plant to keep up with orders.
    Last edited by I @ M; 12-02-2012 at 3:24pm.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the bit depth of the D800? (14?)
    The 645D is 14bits at 40Mpx average raw file size is 65MB while the average JPEG file is 16MB
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    What is the bit depth of the D800? (14?)
    The 645D is 14bits at 40Mpx average raw file size is 65MB while the average JPEG file is 16MB

it appears to be 14 bit Kym (but interestingly, the internal camera processing is done at 16 bits). Everything appears to be heading towards a file of approx 70 to 75 MB. That is not so bad as Mongo has worked on 90 to 100 MB files in the past on the old computer without too much trouble.
    Last edited by mongo; 12-02-2012 at 4:46pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    it appears to be 14 bit Kym (but interestingly, the internal camera processing is done at 16 bits). Everything appears to be heading towards a file of approx 70 to 75 MB. That is not so bad as Mongo has worked on 90 to 100 MB files in the past on the old computer without too much trouble.
    The 645D, K5 and D7000 are also 16 at the sensor as well. Seems common with new bodies.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is game to give it a try, this is (allegedly) a link to download some D800 RAW files, to try. It is a Russian site, and my Russian is a bit rusty..., so I haven't tried it, but if someone is brave enough, give it a whirl.

http://narod.ru/disk/40067882002/1.zip.html
    Last edited by davidd; 12-02-2012 at 5:38pm.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Где - звено?

:d
    Last edited by ameerat42; 12-02-2012 at 5:41pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Где - звено?

:d
    your Russian looks as good as your Italian Ameerat42

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was supposed to be a jke. (I used a translator)

BTW, David, the link gave me an Error 404 - in Russian of course, but it was clear enough.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 12-02-2012 at 10:32pm.