User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: night photography and revolving restaurant...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

night photography and revolving restaurant...

ok, could anyone kindly provide any pointers as to how i may be able to capture some nice photos at night time in a revolving restaurant (Perth C)...

I don't have a wide lens yet, so would be using my canon D60 with 24-105 L Lens, yes with tripod.

Main drawback is the revolving part of the restaurant - so not sure how long exposures I could get.. I don't think there are standstill viewing platforms unfortunately - could be wrong though...

Worse case can just try and see how I go, but thought if anyone has some tips.

cheers

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could try panning the camera at a speed that matched the restaurant.
    don't know what the result would be, could be interesting though
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    you could try panning the camera at a speed that matched the restaurant.
    don't know what the result would be, could be interesting though
    I like the way muddy is thinking. I also think that he may have meant to pan in the opposite direction to the rotation of said eatery. If he didn't maybe that is another idea for an interesting shot.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how bright your scene is. And there are some other factors to consider.

Is there any glass that you'll be shooting through? Then watch for unwanted background reflections. Move up to the glass and make sure it's clean.

How fast is the locale rotating? You'd need to know how many revolutions per period of time, and work out a rotation rate, like degrees per minute/second, etc.

What will be the effect of the rotation using the lens you have? The shorter the focal length the better for reducing the trailling of lights.
    Divide the degrees by (approx.) 57 and you'll get radians per second. Multiply that by the focal length of your lens and you'll get the actual linear trailing distance on your sensor.

How much will you have to up your ISO to give you a reasonable shutter speed? How much noise will that introduce?

Will I enjoy the meal?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are some great considerations to keep in mind for a moving shoot. It seems like this was a few months ago, jockster did you get the opportunity to take any shots yet? I would like to hear and or see how they came out and what steps you may have chosen to follow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just up the ISO to give yourself the shutter speed (If shooting in manual) or set it to Tv , Yes you'll have to watch the reflections , Put the camera right up to the glass if you can
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyone's responses... unfortunately I had good intentions, but it was a work dinner (conference during day) and sadly we were running very late, so taking some nice photos had to be put on the backburner for another day.

I did find out 1 revolution takes 1hr 20! The night we went up, Perth had a huge amount of bush fires down south, and it was VERY, VERY hazy!! Almost made the champagne taste sour...

Would have needed a skilled photographer though to get some good shots. The glass was also quite dusty on the outside. I have got some ideas for next time though... (will try to get extra time!)