Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kenko 1.4 TC with Nikon 70-300 VR or Sigma 150-500

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone is using a Kenko 1.4 TC with a Nikon 70-300mm VR for birding, aircraft and sports action pics? Are the images from this combo any good? Is it possible at all to connect them? Or shall I just bite the bullet and get a Sigma 150-500?

Cheers!
    Andrew
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd definitely go with a Sigma 150-500 .. for sure.

While a TC may mount to a N 70-300VR lens, I'm sure it'll probably cause more frustration than it will produce desired results in the long run.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the TC on my 70-300vr and I liked it...but it was in the middle of the day with plenty of light. The pics looked good though. I`m thinking of the 50-500 just for birding but unsure even though I`ve read lots of net reports comparing it to the 150-500....dunno. I think Arthur could be right here. Then again...now I have to D7000 coupled with the 70-300vr, I just crop a bit more and it still looks pretty good to me.
    Last edited by old dog; 09-02-2012 at 4:19pm.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies, guys. I'm now inclined to go the Sigma way. I'll just have to keep saving up for it, unfortunately

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seastorm View Post
    T....... I'll just have to keep saving up for it, unfortunately
    Best option .. in the end it'll prove to be the best way forward.

Sounds like you at least have 'something' to work with, in that you have the 70-300VR.
    Keep working at it with this lens, and develop your ability with it.

Imagine how much better you will be when using the right equipment, if you perfect your technique with using the wrong equipment!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Imagine how much better you will be when using the right equipment, if you perfect your technique with using the wrong equipment!
    Sire, you speak wise words!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really woundnt bother with 1.4TC on either lens, they work OK on F/4 or lower, youll just lose too much light, degrade your IQ, even if they mount, and probably lose AF also.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, so much for saving up for it...decided to pick one up after CR Kennedy allowed me to match a price I found on the internet, so went down to Camera Electronics in Perth this arvo and bought it

Now to learn how to use this beast properly....

One thing I noticed was that there is a very tiny amount of play between the lens and my D90, apparently that's fairly common, just wondering if any of you have the same?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I noticed was that there is a very tiny amount of play between the lens and my D90, apparently that's fairly common, just wondering if any of you have the same?
    I have a D90 and Sigma 150-500 and there is no discernable lateral play between the lens and the camera body.

There is a very small bit of rotational play where I can rotate base of the lens and the camera body. This play is between the limit stop of the body/lens mount and the locking device that stops the lens from unscrewing. As this occurs with every lens I own for this body I suspect it is there by design.
    Nikon D90, 18-200VR II, Tokina 100mm Macro, Sigma 150-500, Nikkor 35mm, Giotto Rocket Air Blower

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, fairly to very common, especially with Nikkor lenses as ( I believe ) it is a manufacturing tolerance to allow for large temperature variations that the cameras may be operating under. Metal, both camera and lens mating surfaces contract or expand with hot or cold conditions so a little rotational play is built in to allow the possibly differing materials to still be able to be mounted or unmounted under extreme conditions. If you have the chance, try mounting some of the plastic based lenses on the body, you will see minimal to no slack in them because the plastic is not as susceptible to expansion or contraction and can compress slightly if the lens mount grows to a tighter fit.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in reply to Kiwi......when I used the TC on my 70-300vr...in good daylight...no problems...AF was still fast and the IQ as per not having TC on lens....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, fair enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, that makes sense, Andrew, thanks for that bit of info!

I took the Siggy out to the Perth Airport viewing platform yesterday arvo, will put up some pics later. Needless to say I'm pretty chuffed with it. Pretty heavy but used a monopod to stabilise it