User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't really count but might be being published, and even paid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't really count but might be being published, and even paid.

The 4WD trip I did on the long weekend with a bunch of other photography enthusiasts who also love 4wding, is apparently going to be published in 4WD Action magazine or one of its sister publications.
    The story has been written, and all who took pics on the trip have been asked to submit any photos we wanted to make available to go with the story.

We've all submitted a selection of our pics, and when the story is published we all split the $700 fee ($700 split 4 ways if they use at least one pic from each person taking pics on the trip).

So if they pick any of my shots, I'll not only have been published, but paid for it as well. Woohoo!!!
    Of course, it hardly counts in a magazine that actually ASKS its readers to submit stories and has a set fee for stories with pics, but I'll be pretty happy anyway if any of mine end up in there.
    Though the contract states they're buying the photos from you and they then own the pic, and that whilst you can keep one copy for your portfolio, you probably can't do anything else with them. But I can live with those conditions if they publish them.

Anyway here's hoping
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck - sounds like a great opportunity. I'm excited for you and hope you are successful in getting a photo published ... it all counts in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news.

Good luck, and I hope they only use YOUR photos so you can keep all the dough.

Could go towards a nice new lens!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure it's going to be split 4 ways whether any of us don't get any pics published or not, but it's paid the fuel for the entire trip and then some. So can't really complain. But something comes to mind about eggs, hatch, counting?
    Though on the plus side, there are some shots that I was the only one that took - for example in the glow worm tunnel, we all took long exposures of the glowing worms, but I was the only one that took an actual photo of a worm itself with a light on, so since they're planning a break out box with seperate information relevant to the story, and one of those is about the glow worms, there's pretty good chance they'll use at least that picture simply because I'm the only one that took one, not necessarily because it's any good
    Will be months before it ends up in print. The deadline for the pics and story is this coming Monday, but the actual publication of the story is often months and months later from what I have seen previously.
    Will let you all know in a couple of months I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It counts

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and the best part is you had a great trip...
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see that they are willing to cough up some $$ rather that taking advantage of you, sounds like its a publication with a good set of morals, unlike a certain budget airline in Australia...
    Living the dream...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congrats on getting publishes. Hope it is the first of many.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    Of course, it hardly counts in a magazine that actually ASKS its readers to submit stories and has a set fee for stories with pics,
    Says who lol ?
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great, i bet your excited, I know I would be.
    The things you see when you dont have a camera.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Pretty much so, but it's still not a certainty they'll pick any of my pictures. There were 4 people taking pics on the trip, and 4 people submitting pics, for an article that will be lucky if it is much more than a couple of pages, so it becomes a game of odds, and definitely not guaranteed.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I got published, and paid!!!
    Woohoo. Does this make me a professional?

I sure hope not, because when you split the payment for the article between the four main photographers that contributed, it only came out at just over $100 per person.
    About 2/3rds of the fuel bill for the weekend at the time.
    But considering it's a national full colour magazine, I'm pretty happy. Especially as I wasn't doing the trip for that reason, so any money towards fuel was a major plus.

Only about 4 of my images were included in the article, but with four contributors, we all only got about 4 images published.
    So if you happen to be browsing your newsagent next week and see issue 181 of "4WD Action" then leave it right there and don't look through it, because I didn't like any of the images of mine they chose LOL. Obviously Editors and I have different ideas as to what pictures look good

But I'll say it again. I GOT PUBLISHED AND PAID!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paid to have fun. Well done and good luck
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it counts Well done

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So if you happen to be browsing your newsagent next week and see issue 181 of "4WD Action" then leave it right there and don't look through it, .....
    Okay, I won't.
    Well done to the five of you.
    Last edited by Mark L; 04-05-2012 at 11:03pm. Reason: az usul, spellin

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL.
    In all honesty, compared to the photos here, these were just happy snaps. But the other three photography enthusiasts and I are all pretty happy with it.
    You can expect to see even MORE "milky water" photos appearing everywhere though, as they included in the article a "How To" break-out box, with details on how to create them. LOL. Just what the world needs - more milky water photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulaions But I can't promise I want look .
    Cheers
    Sandy

New to photography and loving the challenge

Canon EOS 7D , EF-S 18-135mm lens, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM , EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS II, Sigma 10-20mmf4-5.6 EX , Extension tubes.
    Fujifilm finepix S9500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the publish. I am a regular reader of 4WD Action, so I'll be sure to check it out.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! Publication is publication, whatever the terms!
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep. I got published, and paid!!!
    Woohoo. Does this make me a professional?

I sure hope not, because when you split the payment for the article between the four main photographers that contributed, it only came out at just over $100 per person.
    About 2/3rds of the fuel bill for the weekend at the time.
    But considering it's a national full colour magazine, I'm pretty happy. Especially as I wasn't doing the trip for that reason, so any money towards fuel was a major plus.

Only about 4 of my images were included in the article, but with four contributors, we all only got about 4 images published.
    So if you happen to be browsing your newsagent next week and see issue 181 of "4WD Action" then leave it right there and don't look through it, because I didn't like any of the images of mine they chose LOL. Obviously Editors and I have different ideas as to what pictures look good

But I'll say it again. I GOT PUBLISHED AND PAID!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!
    Better upgrade you to intermediate level then...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast