Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: D800 is here..

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe /maybe not.
    FF lenses are really going to put to the test with this sort of resolution and like the Nikon1 system or the PentaxQ, the lenses arent able to be stopped down much because diffraction becomes very intrusive. Optics still have a way to go, but in the end, physics will still win out.
    In the not too distant future they will easily be able to exceed what lenses can do so I think they will look at other means to increase resolution like developing a sensor that is sensitive to colours.
    In the meantime, the D800 will be a nice bit of kit, along with the D4 or the 1dx, it just requires some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'm sure Canon is already working on a 40+ Mp sensor as we speak for release in a few years time, and unless the MF sensor manufacturers produce something new in the short term, I think that within a few more years a high end full frame 35mm sensor with exceed the 60Mp of the largest MF sensor.
    (other than for marketing, I can't see why anyone would need that .. but each to their own I guess!)
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone checked out the price of the MB-D12 power pack for the D800?

They want $616 USD & it doesn't even come with a battery!!
    Cheers

MajorPanic

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbnutz View Post
    Maybe /maybe not.
    FF lenses are really going to put to the test with this sort of resolution and like the Nikon1 system or the PentaxQ, the lenses arent able to be stopped down much because diffraction becomes very intrusive. Optics still have a way to go, but in the end, physics will still win out.
    In the not too distant future they will easily be able to exceed what lenses can do so I think they will look at other means to increase resolution like developing a sensor that is sensitive to colours.
    In the meantime, the D800 will be a nice bit of kit, along with the D4 or the 1dx, it just requires some cash.
    Diffraction won't be anywhere near as much of an issue as people think and you will definitely see the advantage of lenses with the 36Mp sensor.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'm not really understanding the point Richard.

If you're implying that the D800's 36Mp makes for a very small pixel pitch, I think you should look to the Canon 7D, Sony A77 and others for smaller pixel pitch, tightly packed sensors!!

The D800 is basically 'middle of the road' in terms of pixel size, and 16Mp P&S cameras are far more advanced in terms of pixel spacing and count per sq millimeter of sensor surface.
    I think it you created a full frame 35mm sensor with the pixel pitch of a common P&S camera the pixel count will be in the order of 150Mp or more.

I'm sure Canon is already working on a 40+ Mp sensor as we speak for release in a few years time, and unless the MF sensor manufacturers produce something new in the short term, I think that within a few more years a high end full frame 35mm sensor with exceed the 60Mp of the largest MF sensor.
    (other than for marketing, I can't see why anyone would need that .. but each to their own I guess!)
    The D800 has the same pixel pitch as the D7000 and the results are excellent on that camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went in to Michael's to have a chat regarding another bit of kit for my stormchasing stuff (GoPro Hero2 ) and ended up discussing the D800 with them. Talk is a late March delivery date, with a retailing price of $3699 - quite surprisingly low compared to my usual expectation of their inflation. I certainly won't be buying there but was interesting to note .
    Last edited by Xebadir; 13-02-2012 at 10:57am.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    Just went in to Michael's to have a chat regarding another bit of kit for my stormchasing stuff (GoPro Hero2 ) and ended up discussing the D800 with them. Talk is a late March delivery date, with a retailing price of $3699 - quite surprisingly low compared to my usual expectation of their inflation. I certainly won't be buying there but was interesting to note .
    That's very expensive when compared to local on-line retailers like DD Photographics which are advertising the D800 for $2,999. I wonder how they can justify a $700 premium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they do it with everything else they sell as well .
    The 20% up front deposit is slightly more friendly than DDP - which requires that payment in full up front. Slightly annoying that, but I suppose the good price is the grab line there.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to see optimistic, have a look at Vanbar, not only are they anticipating slugging you top dollars for the body they further add insult to injury by trying to say that you can pay an extra $700.00 for the "E" model.

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/i...tal-SLR&brand=
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    Because they do it with everything else they sell as well .
    The 20% up front deposit is slightly more friendly than DDP - which requires that payment in full up front. Slightly annoying that, but I suppose the good price is the grab line there.
    DDP must be doing really well with all those payments of almost $3K. Which they can invest and earn interest on, till the camera is released. Nice little earner for them for a few months. Would rather keep my $3K and earn my own interest on it, and then buy once the camera is available
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    ..... Would rather keep my $3K and earn my own interest on it, and then buy once the camera is available

Not only that, but in about 6-8 months after release, once the hype has been satisfied, the street price will be closer to $2.5K and I'll also get one.
    total saving will be closer to $1K.

I won't buy anything based on speculation and hype .. waiting to see real images before I make a purchase decision.

Diffraction is a funny thing. In most circumstances most people will never notice the actual effects.
    It's really only in high magnification situations(eg. macro)where diffraction comes into play and other methods of increasing DOF need to be employed(focus stacking).

It's a pity actually, as the number of megapixels the D800 has, is one of those features that most people will never really use to full effect!

Nikon once held the belief that Dx was a better solution for those that want or need the extra 'magnification' of cropping.
    They then introduced a full 35mm frame digital camera that made sense in the real world, and have since made back flip after back flip about where Fx is eventually headed.
    It won't be long before the D4's successor will also have too many pixels too!

.. anyhow, we wait to see real images from real cameras.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Nikon have been quick to announce prices on it and the usual suspects are milking it for all it is worth --

Teds $3799.95

Vanbar $3911.60

and somewhat more realistically

ECS $3425.00

Seeing as all 3 are listed as "pro" body and lens dealers and that they get a slightly better buy price and rebate than your everyday shop the first 2 dealers are planning to buy Caribbean island resorts on the profits.

Having seen the buy price for a non "pro" dealer today it only once again reaffirms the fact that Australia is being screwed by Nikon when the USA can buy it at much much better prices and even a bricks and mortar grey importer in Australia can still sell it at the same price as the USA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were pre-ordering I would just buy from B&H, because the DD offer is the same grey product but you pay now. Wouldn't surprise me if DD were buying at a wholesale price with a small markup from a USA dealer as even HK and SG markets often can't beat USA pricing.

I think ECS has a pretty good price for a local pro bricks & mortar store, and as much as I am an advocate for shopping overseas if that is where you get the best price, I recently bought my (arriving today) D3s from ECS at an unbeatable price. It was cheaper than I could have landed one for from the USA, and the guys there were excellent to deal with, so if considering local stock, I am sure you will get looked after at ECS.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI Digidirect $3431
    Nikon on Broadway $3430
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's a bloke in Perth that is retailing grey imports..a member here made me aware of him..as such his on-line prices are very very keen...selling the 70-200VRII for $2037.. that's about a grand less than I paid for mine !!!...dunno if I can put a link to his site or not..but if rick say yes then Ill post it...if not PM me for the link...he is also selling D700 for $2264....no price on the D800 yet..but it is listed so Id expect he will he will list the price once it becomes available ...a D3s is $4607 !!
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 15-02-2012 at 10:10am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    there's a bloke in Perth that is retailing grey imports..a member here made me aware of him..as such his on-line prices are very very keen...selling the 70-200VRII for $2037.. that's about a grand less than I paid for mine !!!...dunno if I can put a link to his site or not..but if rick say yes then Ill post it...if not PM me for the link...he is also selling D700 for $2264....no price on the D800 yet..but it is listed so Id expect he will he will list the price once it becomes available ...a D3s is $4607 !!
    of course you can. You have over 50 posts and as long as the link relates to the discussion, it is allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant wait to see what pictures it produces, ill get play with my newly picked up d700 for now and might upgrade in 12 months :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, I put my money down ($300) with *removed - see site rules 3-7* last Thursday

I decided I would buy my body from an AU dealer and I know the AUD is high but I thought by the time you add GST, their price was quite reasonable.
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-02-2012 at 11:09pm.
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    remember when buying from overseas you must allow 10% duty which will come to at least another $300. So, in the end it will probably cost the same as having bought it in Aust.

Remember when buying grey imports in Aust e.g. from DDP for $3000, it has no factory warranty. So, again, if you buy an after market warranty for it (probably between $200 - $300 at a guess) it will cost pretty close to what it would have cost if purchased from a normal retailer with factory warranty.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers Rick

heres the blokes site..I contacted hem yesterday and asked about the price of the D800..he reckons under $3000 as for warranty they look after it themselves...might be worth a look....dunno what a Au nikon warranty is on bodies is it 12 0r 24 months ...

http://mycamerafocus.com.au/

must admit I wouldn't buy without a factory warranty on such a new product..after a few runs have been done and the bugs ironed out they will be worth a punt...but as with a lot of new cameras recently most have issues as not a lot of QC is done these days and a rush to get these things out could add to that...but after a few decent reviews of a production model and a few months down the track..expect to see a keenly priced D800 and with no potential problems ..

Im never gonna be a early up-grader again...I did that with a Pentax K5 and regretted it until I got the refund..Ill be keeping hold of my D300s until the D800 had been properly used for a good few months and if people still rave over it...I might buy one
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 16-02-2012 at 9:04am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People need to understand that grey or otherwise, if new, it will come with a factory warranty. Places like B&H will stand behind products they ship to Australia if you need to make a factory warranty claim, you just need to get it back to them. The worst case scenario, you **may** have to send it back to the country of origin for service, which may cost a few $ for postage both ways, and that cost is almost certainly far less than what you originally saved, and that is on the slim chance your item needs warranty at all.

I had to send a body back to an overseas dealer and it was just over $100 return, insured. I saved $1000 on that body Vs local pricing.

With D800 pricing locally being only a few hundred $$ more than USA pricing, then yes if you had to pay freight + GST upon import, then buying locally would mean the same nett cost with local support, so clearly local stock is the better option, and it is nice to see that the message must finally be getting through to local distributors and retailers that the world is now a shopping mall as close as your keyboard, so to get our business they need to sharpen their pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by thommo1965
    a D3s is $4607 !!
    DWI is almost $300 cheaper, and ECS did even better than that on my Aussie body.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast