User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  46
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: D800 is here..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre ordered from BH the morning the D800 was released.

Did some hunting around & the consensus seems to be delivery in mid to late March
    Cheers

MajorPanic

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by knumbnutz; 09-02-2012 at 9:49pm.
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I wonder if they've spread out the AF points to cover the frame better- that's my one gripe.
    no they haven't. it's designed to cover DX view exactly like the D300.
    is it true all 35mm sensor cams don't have AF points cover the whole frame?
    Last edited by reaction; 09-02-2012 at 10:34pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbnutz View Post

wow..what you reckon that would have cost ?..some great gear and loads of manpower.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    March 18 is the US release date. I'm just waiting for a cheque and I'll be ordering mine.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received BHPhoto email some days ago and I was wondering how it was...then I open the forum and there are 3 pages of discussion already! I´m really thinking on this one for replacing my D90, only concern would be the full res RAW images, how many Mbs should they have approximately?

regards
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ups, just read the review quoted before...
    NEF: aprox 75 Mbs
    Tiff: aprox 108 Mbs

...My 2008 Macbook is already struggling with the 12 Mbs ups!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, if a 12 Mp NEF produces a 20-25Mb NEF file on the camera and PC, then 3x that will be in the order of 60-75Mb per file, if uncompressed and 14bit.

That could make CaptureNX2 run a bit sluggish on a mid to low level PC.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to wait and see what happens in the next 12 months... I'm gonna hold out and hope that a D800 sized, FF cam comes out with the D4 sensor.... I'm in no rush to upgrade. I really want FF in my next cam, but don't think i need 36 MP, and dont really want to continually juggle/upgrade my storage capacity (both CF/SD cards, and computer)

I realise others opinions will differ with this.... and Nikon probably won't come to the party... but hell, as i said, i'm in no rush.
    Check out my Flickr!

Nikon D90 & 18-55mm Kit lens, Nikkor 50mm/1.4G & 35mm/1.8G, Tamron 90mm/2.8 macro, Tokina 11-16mm/2.8, and most recently, Nikkor 70-300 VR
    Benro Tripod, Manfrotto Head & Light craft ND500 Filter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm with you on the wait and see approach. i'm not in a rush because it's not going to suddenly improve my images, and will bring new issues with the rest of my imaging chain. i'm currently able to do 1m high canvas prints with 12mp now. i don't have that much wall space to cover with large prints, that i would need 36mp all the time. i'm still secretly happy that nikon just killed the competition though, even though the new bodies are not for me.
    Thanks,
    Nam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah its going to be really interesting to see how Canon responds with the 5D mkIII....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgolds99 View Post
    Yeah its going to be really interesting to see how Canon responds with the 5D mkIII....
    I'm with you.
    I'm waiting with baited breath for the new 5D MkIII, or whatever they call it.

This D800 sounds like a great camera, and even at the introductory price of US$3K, it sounds like good value.
    I wonder what the price will be like 6-12 months from now, when all the "I must have one now" brigade have had their fill?

Canon will really have to pull a cat out of the bag to better it.
    Mind you, they could just upscale the sensor in the 7D to FF, and turn the new 5D into a FF version of the 7D, and it would come close.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the biggest thing canon have to address is the AF of the 5D series right? even the 7D has better AF than the 5D II, so yeah, your right.... if they make a FF version of the 7D, they'd be on the money i reckon. However, i'm not sure if the AF of the 7D is quite up to the D700 and D800/D4 AF?? Whaddayaknow Benny?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm reconsidering getting this to replace my D700 now that I have dismissed the D4 for the short term as a result of getting a steal on a D3s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N*A*M View Post
    i'm with you on the wait and see approach. i'm not in a rush because it's not going to suddenly improve my images,
    During the C & P exhibit in Yokohama, they (Nikon) displayed several images comparing the D800 and D3s on various apertures using the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 lens. Images of the D800 were actually more detailed compared to the D3s. So to answer the question, the images does improve at higher resolution at certain ISO level.

The emphasis and integration of video is here to stay. There is also a market for videographers who work for companies to produce commercials, music videos, short movies, and wedding videos that wants a HD movie capable DSLR camera. Canon used to dominate this area with the Canon 5D MkII and 7D, but not anymore.

The 36mp pictures will fit nicely once the 1440p HDTV arrives. This is a step forward into the future. Yes, if you are in the business of photography, you will need higher capacity memory cards, hard drives and a decent computer to process everything especially the HD movies. BTW, it is not cheap and it is not for everyone.

Quick view between my D700 and the new D800.

Nikon D800 with D700 by gqtuazon, on Flickr
    Best regards,

Glenn
    My flickr
    My Gear

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgolds99 View Post
    I'm going to wait and see what happens in the next 12 months... I'm gonna hold out and hope that a D800 sized, FF cam comes out with the D4 sensor.... I'm in no rush to upgrade. I really want FF in my next cam, but don't think i need 36 MP, and dont really want to continually juggle/upgrade my storage capacity (both CF/SD cards, and computer)

I realise others opinions will differ with this.... and Nikon probably won't come to the party... but hell, as i said, i'm in no rush.
    That's why I think the problem with offering 36mp is not the pixel pitch/high ISO noise etc, it's the lack of pixel binning to produce eg. 18mp and 9mp raw files.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered the d800 yesterday. It's gonna be a long month

Ausphotography Regular richardb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is so exciting. Sensor critical dimensions are far smaller than the 40 nanometer node.
    16 nm has been reached last December.
    Guess, next sensor features are stacks of atoms, with dimensions in angström
    No worries, Canon can get any sensor from the semiconductor foundries in Jpn. Even from Korea.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really understanding the point Richard.

If you're implying that the D800's 36Mp makes for a very small pixel pitch, I think you should look to the Canon 7D, Sony A77 and others for smaller pixel pitch, tightly packed sensors!!

The D800 is basically 'middle of the road' in terms of pixel size, and 16Mp P&S cameras are far more advanced in terms of pixel spacing and count per sq millimeter of sensor surface.
    I think it you created a full frame 35mm sensor with the pixel pitch of a common P&S camera the pixel count will be in the order of 150Mp or more.

I'm sure Canon is already working on a 40+ Mp sensor as we speak for release in a few years time, and unless the MF sensor manufacturers produce something new in the short term, I think that within a few more years a high end full frame 35mm sensor with exceed the 60Mp of the largest MF sensor.
    (other than for marketing, I can't see why anyone would need that .. but each to their own I guess!)

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast