User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  46
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021

Thread: D800 is here..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Note: This thread is not in the critique forums. Photos posted should be demonstrating something about the features or abilities of the D800/D800e. Any further posting of photos that do not discuss the camera or features will be removed
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    This thread has 394 replies, which one are you commenting on?

EDIT: You have edited your post, so my reply above quoted it, before you edited.
    Sorry was trying to respond to Xebadir Storm Chaser (John). Eg broken link is:
    http://www.emanatephotography.com/blogs.html
    Last edited by WieseVisuals; 09-06-2012 at 3:53am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey hey,, So finally got my D800 back and it's all in working except for this.. lol

Still getting a ERR. seems I was in M and shutter speed too low so I turned it off. Mirror was stuck up and would not come down until I pushed shutter release.

Anyone else getting this? Only happens when with low shutter :S
    Photographer & Retoucher at L'Obsession Secrète

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still waiting for my d800.... so not fun watching all the images coming through with the people who have theirs...

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Hey hey,, So finally got my D800 back and it's all in working except for this.. lol

Still getting a ERR. seems I was in M and shutter speed too low so I turned it off. Mirror was stuck up and would not come down until I pushed shutter release.

Anyone else getting this? Only happens when with low shutter :S
    Chris, can you detail The EXACT steps that you are doing when this happens. When I say exact I mean from the minute that you pick up the camera. Please list them in point form ----

#1. Pick up camera.
    #2 Turn camera on.
    #3 ???
    #4 ???

and so on.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm stunned at the high ISO qualities of the D800, it makes the D700 look pretty poor in comparison.

All hand held.

Shot using Auto-ISO @ 3200 ISO 24-70mm lens

1800 ISO 24-70mm lens

1100 ISO 300mm lens

Cheers

MajorPanic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Chris, can you detail The EXACT steps that you are doing when this happens. When I say exact I mean from the minute that you pick up the camera. Please list them in point form ----

#1. Pick up camera.
    #2 Turn camera on.
    #3 ?????????????
    #4 ?????????????
    and so on.
    #3 - I can switch to either manual or aperture mode and giving that I stay within the 1/60s or above its fine to which I can say it has no diff what ISO or Aperture you select. If I drop below the 1/60s thats when the ERR on screen occurs and lock up is essential for whatever reason..

#4 - Giving the above statement, the only way that it is fixed is from pressing the shutter button fully down as if you were taking a shot, once again with the ERR displayed on screen to free the camera from lock up and to start shooting once again.

I"ve only just got the cam back after spending 2wks at Nikon Sydney after having a melt down with it straight off the bat of receiving the camera .. But now its mmm same thing but can be corrected with a press of button???? Seriously do you think I should be still flapping my arms about? lol :P Kidding of course

Also I believe needed proof was in order lol :P

Sigma 70-200mm @ f/2.8

Sigma 105mm (used inbuilt flash @1/4th)
    Last edited by Chris G; 16-06-2012 at 2:55am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, you are missing the other #3 - #222 steps that are going to tell what is happening here. Without having the camera to play with it is hard to see what is happening and detailing the settings are the best way to diagnose over the 'net.
    For instance, what is your minimum shutter speed set to when using a flash? Are you using live view? What are your focus settings, AF-S or AF-C? Is your shutter activation set to focus or release?
    Have you tried a Nikon lens on the camera?

You may find that Nikon service will tell you that you are using an incompatible product with the camera if you say things like Sigma and to consult the Sigma distributors for a fix.

There is obviously something strange going on but at the moment there are just too many variables that are unknown to diagnose instantly.
    Maybe someone else has an idea but nothing jumps out at me at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris

sounds like you need a replacement camera mate...IMO having the issues your experiencing on a new body should make it a no brainer
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, another thought.

I had an ERR symbol come up very soon after we got our bodies.
    It happened when I tried to take a photo on a card that contained images from another body.
    I formatted that card in camera and all was OK.
    Is your card on the "approved" Nikon list.
    Are you using two cards in the camera?
    What are the settings in the menu for those cards?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have seen It doesn't matter if I'm using AF-S/ C - 3D - 51 -25- 8- 5..
    memory card is the only have the one, brand new never used before Scan disk 34Gb 30mb/s CF card in saying that, clearly its approved. And yes I formatted it in the camera before use

Lenes on the other hand, I don't own one Nikon lens. You could debate that the Sigma lenses is the cause but I have 3 + a old 1970 50mm prime that works very nicely with the body giving thats it for a Pentax K mount.

Lets consider ISO and F/stop, I can go from 50-80 Lo 1 right through to 6400 on any F stop without a hint of trouble..

Off camera flash I need to test out as my batteries were flat yesterday hence using inbuilt on the above image.

Again what does that leave me with other than what I'm trying to explain, oh.. Also it will happen in S, Q & Timer (as of last night doing night shots) I'll test out burst mode this arvo.

Anyway, like I've said... 1/60s and lower it locks up with ERR displayed and all I need to do is press the shutter again to free it..

Starting to go with Tommo here though, replacement needed.. I mean straight off the bat it had to go to Nikon for repairs and 2wks later after getting back on Thursday just gone I'm still getting errors..

Don't get me wrong, I can live with it maybe lol.. But honestly it has dented my trust with Nikon to produce quality gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with I&M. Borrow any sort of recent Nikon lens, fit it to your D800 and reboot. Almost guarantee your problem will go away. ERR messages with foreign lens (particularly older ones) are almost as common as measles. Ask anyone that's had a Tokina. And the problem is prevalent with low light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MajorPanic View Post
    I'm stunned at the high ISO qualities of the D800, it makes the D700 look pretty poor in comparison.

All hand held.

Shot using Auto-ISO @ 3200 ISO 24-70mm lens

1800 ISO 24-70mm lens

1100 ISO 300mm lens

The digital enhancement with the D800 is so stark it's not pretty anymore. I sent mine back after Peru. Pixel overkill.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    I agree with I&M. Borrow any sort of recent Nikon lens, fit it to your D800 and reboot. Almost guarantee your problem will go away. ERR messages with foreign lens (particularly older ones) are almost as common as measles. Ask anyone that's had a Tokina. And the problem is prevalent with low light.

- - - Updated - - -

The digital enhancement with the D800 is so stark it's not pretty anymore. I sent mine back after Peru. Pixel overkill.
    I would not be so forward to say that you almost gaurentee it will cure it redgum, I am using a much much older 70-200 Sigma than Chris and it does not play up at all, in fact no Sigma lenses, nor Tamron nor Tokina are causing any grief with that body.

I merely suggested fitting a Nikkor and not using a Sigma lens to highlight the prob to Nikon so that they can't offer the 3rd party incompatibility story to him.

I really don't understand you feelings on the pixel overkill statement, I reckon you are in the vast minority of users (and viewers) with that body to feel that way. So far from what I have seen, all the complaints about image quality ( either too much or too little ) have easily been found to be the fault of the operator.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    ......You could debate that the Sigma lenses is the cause but I have 3 + a old 1970 50mm prime that works very nicely with the body giving thats it for a Pentax K mount.

So are you saying that the old 50mm lens is allowing the camera to work fine?.. as in no lockups at all??

Is this err issue confined to any one lens?

Obviously lower than 1/60s is referring to shutter speeds 1/50s, 1/40s .. etc .. lower = slower(just to clarify).

Have you tried a two button reset yet? and which firmware does the camera have.

The best lens to use to determine if there is any camera to lens issue is the manual lens.
    Removing the lens's electronic connection is a better way to diagnose a camera issue, rather than adding any Nikon specific lens(unless it's also an old manual lens) anyhow.

The D800 is able to have manual camera presets entered into it's memory bank.
    Do this and mount the 50mm(even if you don't mount it, it makes no difference!!)

Set the camera to only [A] aperture priority or [M] manual only.

Does this help in any way?

If not, then the issue has nothing to do with any lens(es).

Very strange that the ERR is shutter speed dependent. Sounds like a metering issue or something like that.

If it were my issue, I'd be inclined to do a reset of the camera -> update to the current firmware(if not already) -> set at least one manual lens in the memory bank and whether you mount the lens or not is of no consequence other than for testing.
    I'd do it in that order, but only because, two button resets are generally not a bad thing unless you have many customised settings already set in the camera.
    Latest firmware is generally a good thing to have unless there is a feature that you really don't want or need.
    Manual lenses don't lock up the cameras electronics.

Note tho that there could also be an aperture level mechanism issue that could also cause the camera to play up.
    Mounting the old manual lens may no show this up as it sounds like a non coupled lens type(being Pentax mount). The aperture controlling systems are incompatible and so if there was some thing wrong with the camera's aperture mechanisms or systems, then mounting a non coupled lens will not show this up.
    Still a good thing to try if you have the appropriate lens to camera adapter.

Anyhow, hopefully the issue is simple and quickly sorted out for 'ya Chris.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post

I had to laugh when Andrew highlighted this point.

If it's pixel overkill, then why order it in the first place.

It was obviously going to be a 36Mp camera when you got it ... just as they announced in the marketing blurb!!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, I think you should be requesting a new camera. Technically, this should be done back through the dealer who are obliged to assist you. I would contact CameraPro and speak to Jesse (I think he is the owner) and explain your situation. The product was DOA, you have given Nikon the opportunity to fix it as required under the Trade Practices Act and it is still defective. Explain to the dealer that you expect the camera to be replaced with a new unit from the next available shipment that hits Nikon's Aussie warehouse as it is not of merchantable quality and fit for the purposes for which it was intended. Be nice but stand firm on your rights! Explain to CameraPro that even though you have dealt directly with Nikon, you are obligated to take the matter to them when seeking remedy under the Act and that it is your intention to enforce your rights through the appropriate channels. If necessary, put this down in writing to CameraPro and give them 7 days written notice to resolve the matter.

I think you will get looked after.
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    So are you saying that the old 50mm lens is allowing the camera to work fine?.. as in no lockups at all??

Is this err issue confined to any one lens?

Obviously lower than 1/60s is referring to shutter speeds 1/50s, 1/40s .. etc .. lower = slower(just to clarify).

Have you tried a two button reset yet? and which firmware does the camera have.

The best lens to use to determine if there is any camera to lens issue is the manual lens.
    Removing the lens's electronic connection is a better way to diagnose a camera issue, rather than adding any Nikon specific lens(unless it's also an old manual lens) anyhow.

The D800 is able to have manual camera presets entered into it's memory bank.
    Do this and mount the 50mm(even if you don't mount it, it makes no difference!!)

Set the camera to only [A] aperture priority or [M] manual only.

Does this help in any way?

If not, then the issue has nothing to do with any lens(es).

Very strange that the ERR is shutter speed dependent. Sounds like a metering issue or something like that.

If it were my issue, I'd be inclined to do a reset of the camera -> update to the current firmware(if not already) -> set at least one manual lens in the memory bank and whether you mount the lens or not is of no consequence other than for testing.
    I'd do it in that order, but only because, two button resets are generally not a bad thing unless you have many customised settings already set in the camera.
    Latest firmware is generally a good thing to have unless there is a feature that you really don't want or need.
    Manual lenses don't lock up the cameras electronics.

Note tho that there could also be an aperture level mechanism issue that could also cause the camera to play up.
    Mounting the old manual lens may no show this up as it sounds like a non coupled lens type(being Pentax mount). The aperture controlling systems are incompatible and so if there was some thing wrong with the camera's aperture mechanisms or systems, then mounting a non coupled lens will not show this up.
    Still a good thing to try if you have the appropriate lens to camera adapter.

Anyhow, hopefully the issue is simple and quickly sorted out for 'ya Chris.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to laugh when Andrew highlighted this point.

If it's pixel overkill, then why order it in the first place.

It was obviously going to be a 36Mp camera when you got it ... just as they announced in the marketing blurb!!
    Ok Bare with me as I try to remember everything I've tested lol..

I'm referring to the shutter speed of 1/60th of a sec and slower with ALL my sigma lenses. 70-200mm APO HMS II, 10-20mm HMS F/4, 105mm F/2.8 Macro (Original Version?), 24-70mm F/2.8 (Original version?)

All of which happen in A and M mode during the tests with Spot, Matrix, Average metering.. Using AF or Manual on the lenses... Under E menu for Flash / bracketing change the flash Sync and flash shutter speeds around on various settings with no change.

Getting back the non CPU 50mm Pentax lens.. No errors, I'll even take that further and say its fine without a lens also. I can shoot 1/10th of a sec or slower with a any lock ups..

The firmware is updated as I did it the first day I received when I had to ship it off to Nikon that very same day for a complete look over due to having the ERR from the get go.

Despite all this even with the ERR I get, the camera still takes a photo like there is nothing wrong? and you wouldn't know until you have to take another shot if by chance you didn't look the LCD or view finder ect.

Camera Pro and I'm sorry if anyone here works them but after waiting a week, yes a whole week when I contact them about the faulty camera asking what could be done. I was told to send a email to support/tech explaining my problem. All good, about an hour later I get email saying basicly they were trying to get in contact with their Nikon rep and ask him on the matter. Even though I had already done this and the Nikon dude gave me 2 options. Sooo back to the point.. I waited a whole week for camera pro to say yep send it in for DOA.. I was not happy and they did get a not so happy customer email put in the nicest possible way lol. I mean without swearing my head off..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am reserving my thoughts until I get more use with my D800. I am off for two weeks through QLD on holidays and I am taking my Pelican case with all my lenses to give it a good workout. I am really interested to see how it goes on my 600mm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you tried this:
    http://nikonrumors.com/2012/05/03/ni...rary-fix.aspx/

probably won't help but you never know.

From my reading it seems that people with serial numbers starting 8003 are ok but around 8005 it goes a bit down hill? but it could just be coincidence.
    if your serial start similar to Mongos? as mongo has autofocus problems - this issue also seems to be lens varied - meaning its ok on some but not on others.

I'm really scared to get mine now :/

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021