Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  46
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101718192021 LastLast

Thread: D800 is here..

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, first thing to do is to format the card/s that you are using in the camera.

Do it by the menu instead of the double button press.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, now that you have edited your post we have a new "first" thing to do and that is to stop flapping your arms wildly and to follow some straight forward steps.

#1 Remove the battery. If it isn't fully charged, put it on the charger till it is.
    #2 Download the new firmware from Nikon as per this post.
    #3 When the battery is charged, format a CF card in the camera.
    #4 Load your newly downloaded firmware to that CF card.
    #5 Update the camera firmware from the camera menu.

Detailed "how to" instructions are here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After all that, didn't work and Im getting the same result stuck on P mode with Err flashing even on start up without a lens.. Firmware is now 1.01

Update: After getting off the phone with Nikon Aust. they have told to me to return it to camera pro with likely of not getting a new for bugger knows how long or to return it to them in sydney and hopfully they can do it in a couple of days lol..

Seriously one P%%@%@% off customer
    Last edited by Chris G; 31-05-2012 at 12:12pm.
    Photographer & Retoucher at L'Obsession Secrète

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the whole pretty happy with the D800. It's a couple of zoom lenses that seem to be unsharp but on the D700 they are razor

Cheers

MajorPanic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris

Do you have another battery you can try..i had a issue with my d700 a few days ago that sounds simialr..mine turned out to be a corrupt battery
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    After all that, didn't work and Im getting the same result stuck on P mode with Err flashing even on start up without a lens.. Firmware is now 1.01

Update: After getting off the phone with Nikon Aust. they have told to me to return it to camera pro with likely of not getting a new for bugger knows how long or to return it to them in sydney and hopfully they can do it in a couple of days lol..

Seriously one P%%@%@% off customer
    Really bad luck Chris. Hope you get it sorted out promptly.
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have another battery you can try..i had a issue with my d700 a few days ago that sounds similar..mine turned out to be a corrupt battery
    I did the next day, the 2 I ordered from Ted's in Sydney lol. Anyway, diffidently wasn't a battery problem as there was something mechanically wrong with it. I ended up shipping it back to Nikon Aust in Sydney as Steve from Nikon support gave me 2 choice's. I took the most logical and hopefully less frustrating one then compared to sending it back to Camera Pro in QLD and not seeing it for maybe another month or more until naturally there was stock for a replacement.

It basicly came down to that Nikon Aust or Camera Pro tech heads had no idea what was wrong with the D800 and infact I'm still waiting for a reply from Camera Pro about it all as they needed to contact their Nikon Rep.. Oo

Steve from Nikon Aust after ringing up the second time asking if it was possible to ship the D800 to them which he said 99% of item end up being shipped, told me to write on a piece of paper stating his name and that he gives authorisation for a fast return rate and put it down as a high priority item. I must say I was pretty happy that he did that for me giving I had only received the cam 3hrs before hand.

What can say, I ended up with $4,000 lemon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't shot too many files yet, and still need to do some more thorough testing once home, but so far I am pretty happy with mine, no left/right focus point issue at this stage, no lock-ups, no blurry viewfinder.

I am still thinking I would be very lucky not to have the focus point OOF issue, so will not get too excited until I have had a solid test session.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorPanic View Post
    On the whole pretty happy with the D800. It's a couple of zoom lenses that seem to be unsharp but on the D700 they are razor

Beautiful shots, MP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wheeeee - D800e has arrived at Nikon On Broadway! Time to zoot up to Sydney to collect tomorrow!
    Bernie | D800e | D7000 | D70S Infrared | D200 | D2x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, still on the waiting band wagon

I was told the other day that the d800 will currently not work with "pocket wizard" wireless triggers etc... is this true? and is there any other things you have come across that haven't worked?

My understanding is that its software related and will be fixed, but again not 100%

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnCurl View Post
    Hi, still on the waiting band wagon

I was told the other day that the d800 will currently not work with "pocket wizard" wireless triggers etc... is this true? and is there any other things you have come across that haven't worked?

My understanding is that its software related and will be fixed, but again not 100%
    Who-ever is telling you this information, should no longer be a source of information for you. Pocket Wizards do work on the D800. The hotshoe and flash system on the D800 is no different to that on other Nikon models. SOME models of Pocket Wizards need a firmware upgrade to work with all the newer cameras (not just Nikons). The relates specifically to : PocketWizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 as well as the new Sekonic RT-32CTL module. All other PW's should work just fine. The firmware for these devices (to be installed on the device, not the camera), is available HERE
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-06-2012 at 7:38am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it was in the shop, and they wouldn't sell me one as they said it wouldn't work, as i said i thought it was a software thing and that it would be resolved

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D800 is on my Christmas list
    Last edited by WieseVisuals; 07-06-2012 at 9:31pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WieseVisuals View Post
    Thanks for the link. FYI - I just tried to check out your web site. Two things you might want to check. I couldn't view the Gallery on my iPad (drop down menu won't work) and the DVD/Blog link is currently broken giving a page not found error.
    This thread has 394 replies, which one are you commenting on?

EDIT: You have edited your post, so my reply above quoted it, before you edited.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-06-2012 at 9:36pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnCurl View Post
    well it was in the shop, and they wouldn't sell me one as they said it wouldn't work, as i said i thought it was a software thing and that it would be resolved
    I would suggest a different "shop", maybe one with people that have some idea about what they are talking about. Success rate so far with pocket wizards on the D800 = 100% and nope, haven't even updated the firmware to cater for the later model over the D700.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Guys,
    Just got back from the states so am going to be looking at putting together a review of my thoughts on the D800. Still familiarising myself with the nuances, but after 2 weeks hard usage I can say I am pretty damn impressed, on all accounts. Season wasn't quite as active as I had hoped (of course until I had arrived home it wasn't), but still put about 1500 decents shots on the clock so have a fair impression. Will put it up this weekend.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D800E

Well have been madly pressing the shutter on my D800E and I'm VERY impressed! wow and wow. It is by all counts the most impressive camera I have EVER used or had the pleasure of viewing the output from.
    Detail is staggering, file sizes are no where near as crippling as made out online (typically 8-9mb JPG - yes I shot JPG on an E - sacraligeous!). I cannot compare it to a straight D800 - but these photos essentially don't need sharpening. Its intensely crisp, but obviously dependent on the lens and focus.
    I snapped a few shots looking over Goulburn last night on the way back (10pm - moon was not quite up) and shots looked almost black in camera. Load into Lightroom and press AUTO - boom! Photos punch up with incredible clarity almost like daylight! Low light capability is staggering. At 100% image shows some noise, but just halve the image size (to 18mp) and noise is almost non existent. A truly impressive bit of kit that has a vast array of functions and capabilities. HIGHLY recommended. I would post some piks - but I'm not allowed as a noobie
    Cheers
    Last edited by Burnman; 08-06-2012 at 7:17pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnman View Post
    file sizes are no where near as crippling as made out online (typically 8-9mb JPG - yes I shot JPG on an E - sacraligeous!).
    What size jpeg are you photographing at? Typical file size for large fine from the D800 is around the 20mb mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnman View Post
    I would post some piks - but I'm not allowed as a noobie
    Please do post some images in the appropriate forum, you may post images as soon as you join and have made one post, the only restriction on new members is in the gallery section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Large FX - Norm mode for most of them. Night shots in RAW obviously.

Will try an image:

- - - Updated - - -

Sweet! Works.. Thanks for the heads up Can post a few more now. Here is a 100% crop from above image - nothing exciting mind - just me snapping around the park with it. Lens BTW is the Nikon 85 1.4
    Sydney01-100crop.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Burnman; 08-06-2012 at 7:47pm.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101718192021 LastLast