Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  46
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: D800 is here..

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As AK said, there is a filter on the E version, just one without AA properties.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thom Hogan has put together an interesting review piece on most of the D800 features. Well worth a read if you want to know what all the fuss is about.
    http://www.bythom.com/d800intro.htm

My D300 is already in the process of finding itself a new home AK
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if they've spread out the AF points to cover the frame better- that's my one gripe.
    Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there any good aust stories where i can pre order d800e my local store is charging $4500 . i can buy it over seas for $3400us
    Last edited by lousha; 08-02-2012 at 4:36pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lousha View Post
    is there any good aust stories where i can pre order d800e my local store is charging $4500 . i can buy it over seas for $3400us
    That is friggin ridiculous. Australian retailers need to step their game up or do nothing and accept that their business model is dying, very fast.
    Last edited by bxaftw; 08-02-2012 at 4:52pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have tried pre ordering B&H in the us i think its a scam because they said they wouldn't take the money out of my bank until shipment was ready they tried 3 times too take it out straight away . camera pro aust are taking pre orders for $3600 d800

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have tried pre ordering B&H in the us i think its a scam because they said they wouldn't take the money out of my bank until shipment was ready they tried 3 times too take it out straight away . camera pro aust are taking pre orders for $3600 d800
    Pre-order from the B&H website, or Adorama, and save a packet. These stores will happily sell to you and there is no scam. Don't click links to pre-order pages unless you type the URL for the store home page first and go through their store.

www.bhphotovideo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pre-order at DDP (North Sydney) :
    $3,000 for the D800,
    $3,400 for the D800E

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/...7B47%7D-D800E/
    Last edited by Sar NOP; 08-02-2012 at 6:10pm.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Interesting about the anti-aliasing filter. At present we can clean our own dust bunnies cause the AA filter is really what we wipe clean. If there is not one, then it certainly makes me wonder about cleaning the sensor. I wonder if rather than the AA filter, they are placing just plain clean high quality glass or something in front of the sensor.

I can see some gooses causing all sorts of damage to their sensors, if they wet clean it, if there is nothing at all over the sensor...hmmm

I like this camera. Think Nikon might be onto a bit of a winner with this one.
    From what I understand, there is still a filter on the sensor of the D800E. See Rob Galbraith's site for explanation:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...=7-11674-12304

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sar NOP View Post
    You can pre-order at DDP (North Sydney) :
    $3,000 for the D800,
    $3,400 for the D800E

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/...00-{47}-D800E/
    And a nice little interest earner it is for them too seeing as how they want payment in full at order time.

They may not even have to spend a cent of your hard earned for 3 months or more.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I wonder if they've spread out the AF points to cover the frame better- that's my one gripe.
    I haven't seen that mentioned at all yet but they cured my other 2 "gripes" by giving a lower native iso and a 100% viewfinder.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the images posted on DPR are accurate, then it looks to be about the same ... possibly slightly larger than the D3/D700's, but no where near the D300's AF point spread.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I have a D700 and this has really been my only disliked feature. However I recently read a few articles on focussing and closer focus points makes more sense when it comes to tracking a moving subject (e.g. sports, racing cars, birds in flight, etc). To take advantage of the closer focus points you have to get into doing the whole focus and recompose thing. It helps massively if you use the AF button on the back instead of the shutter button for focusing. I've set my camera up for this style of focussing (AF on/ focus and recompose). Its taking a little while to break old habits, but I think it has long term benefit. I guess I'll know in a year's time
    cheers

Steve

Don't take life too seriously - its only temporary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    If the images posted on DPR are accurate, then it looks to be about the same ... possibly slightly larger than the D3/D700's, but no where near the D300's AF point spread.
    Even in DX crop mode ?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In crop mode the AF points are fixed(if I have my info correct), so of course the spread is (pseudo) wider, and possibly equal to that of the D300.

I'm going to hack the firmware in my D300 now to allow myself an extra feature option of a Cx crop mode to give the camera an even wider AF point spread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

I'm going to hack the firmware in my D300 now to allow myself an extra feature option of a Cx crop mode to give the camera an even wider AF point spread!
    That's why I still like my D2X for birding with its Crop Mode 2x where the 9 cross-types AF points are spread on all the surface of the frame !
    It's a shame that Nikon didn't offer a crop mode in the D7000 !
    Last edited by Sar NOP; 08-02-2012 at 11:23pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't think that it makes sense (for the manufacturer) to convolute the Dx cameras with such as feature.

You can easily set up a 'crop' batch process in almost every image editing software to do the same thing, so all you need do is to shoot within the area confined by the AF points and crop on the PC.

Of course the only reason crop mode exists on Nikon's Fx cameras was because of the compatibility of Dx lenses.
    And the crop mode on the D2 series was for higher speed shooting, ie. full pro frame rates(at the time).
    While D7K may be a camera type used by pros, Nikon don't market it as such and would prefer they stuck with the higher priced models instead.

Maybe the D400 will be targeted towards this pro-semi pro market. If it does indeed have this 24Mp Sony sensor it has leeway for a crop mode and it needs a higher frame rate than the D7K for the sake of marketspeak!!
    (if the A77 can achieve 10fps with limitations on its AF performance, then Nikon may be looking to achieve 11fps but with full AF performance or something like that)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some HIGH ISO D800 (not D800E) pre production images.
    Very impressive!

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d800-high-iso-image-samples
    I've drowned 3 cameras, bounced off a reef and lost 2 front teeth, had various fin chops and am really starting to feel OLD!

But.....................................still love shooting the curl.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there are limitation on how wide the current PDAF sensors can be placed on FX formats.
    Until on-sensor PDAF hits DSLRs (which I don't think will be that long) I think we're stuck with the current spread of AF points. They can cram as many as they like in the middle but there's nothing near the edge of frame. Looking at Canon's 1Dx, it looks like the same limitations.
    But the on-sensor PDAF in the Nikon 1 series is a Nikon design, not Sony's so until we next get a Nikon DSLR with a Nikon sensor, we probably won't see it. It'll probably start in the consumer end though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found a sample shot at 25,600 ISO : details and noise level are incredibly good for a 36mpix !

Crop1

Crop2

Crop3

[/quote]

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast