Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  46
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: D800 is here..

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The video reinforces my results with regards to DR for the D800. The D800's DR is senstational at low ISO's but you need to make sure that you use that DR from the shadows not the highlights, so be careful not to blow the higlights. This has been borne out with my (limited) testing so far, preserve the highlights.

It would be a wonderful inclusion if the D800 had a highlight preservation button or option which you could custom tune in the menu to preserve a certain % of the highlights. When there is huge DR, you could set it to preserve say, 95% of the photo from blowing the highlights as you know that any more than that is not necessary to preserve the detail in those highlighted areas for that particular shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    LOL??? .... mate!! .... you lost me at the "bit mapping" part!

The only interest I have(and have had) in the moire discussion is that once you get in 'ya images, it's hard to remove.
    I researched quite a bit into this issue years back when I got lots of images affected by moire from the D70s.
    D70/70s had the same sensor as the D100, but obviously at a cheaper price, but it also had a weaker AA filter than the D100.
    Images were supposedly more detailed from the D70's compared to D100 images, but many folks that had both cameras posted good images with various levels of sharpening on the test images.
    These comparative images showed that the D100 image was more accommodating of more post process sharpening than the D70's was.

At this point in time, the D200 was quite new and it showed better image detail in it's images compared to both, but again, using the same level of sharpening on the D200 images produced more artefacts(haloing) when compared to the D70 and D100 images.
    But this also assumed that the images were shot with super sharp lenses to begin with and that the lens didn't produce any detail degradation.

What I'm more interested in for now with respect to D800E is if the moire can be processed out of an image, and if so how well does each software effect this removal.

In the old days, I converted to Nikon Capture and then CaptureNX(version 1) for it's simpler to use processing.(from PS version .. earlybird) CS 1 or 2 .. can't remember).

I found that neither software could totally remove moire in most situations, while it did help a little.

Haven't used that tool in CNX2 to see if it works, and I reckon I've almost certainly deleted any D70 images that had been affected .. but I have too many images to search through individually.
    Also, I haven't yet seen any D800E raw files for download to play with myself.
    eerrrrr I was confusing myself with pattens and bitmapping.. LOL!

Though I will keep an eye out for a D800e raw
    Last edited by Chris G; 21-04-2012 at 3:08pm.
    Photographer & Retoucher at L'Obsession Secrète

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm quite intrigued by the idea that the d800e is "better" for video than the d800. Given that video is 1080 x 1920 pixels (about mpixels) and the d800 sensor is giving 36 mpixels, there is implicit pixel binning anyway. I can't see that the anti-alias filter makes a difference for video.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my D800 arrived today . Will be posting up some test shots later on. Out of box - very impressed, nice looking camera with a scary number of buttons.
    First things I noticed - joypad is a heck of alot my user friendly, the reduced height of the gripping on the right hand side of the camera is very noticeable for me (big hands), the weight difference is surprisingly noticeable, and the reversal of the + and - buttons when switching between the D700 and D800 is going to be a source of constant amusement. So now I have under a month to learn the camera - weee.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    So my D800 arrived today . Will be posting up some test shots later on. Out of box - very impressed, nice looking camera with a scary number of buttons.
    First things I noticed - joypad is a heck of alot my user friendly, the reduced height of the gripping on the right hand side of the camera is very noticeable for me (big hands), the weight difference is surprisingly noticeable, and the reversal of the + and - buttons when switching between the D700 and D800 is going to be a source of constant amusement. So now I have under a month to learn the camera - weee.
    Congrats on obtainign your D800.

Like me, you have also noticed the weight difference between it and the D700, which was the first thing I noticed. A 10% weight saving is quite a bit and yet the camera feels just as solid if not more so.

Interestingly, I have yet to fall victim to the reversed + and - buttons for the photo review, knock on wood.

Look forward to your first photos and more of your thoughts after extended use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Sunday and on Monday, I was able to do some test shots with the D800. I'm firstly really impressed by its AF performances (on Monday, I spent a few hours shooting birds in flight under light rain) and its IQ at high ISO.
    I think this is an excellent multi-purpose camera.

#1 : Indoor @6400 ISO

Crop 100%

Impressive stability despite its 36mpix !
    #2 : 1/25", @400mm, 800 ISO, handheld.

Crop 100%

#3 : Impressive resolution even under rainy conditions !

Crop 100%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First attempt with a 2x TC on the 200-400 :

#4 : @6400 ISO, handheld.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the set SAR. Now that I've been running a few tests of my own its nice to see the other applications and the sort of potential this body has - if only it would stop raining like it has in Melbourne over the last two days so I can really get out there and start taking photos. Seeing that last shot with the 2xTC III has only increased my desire to get my hands on one of these once I get back from the states (and have some disposable - for some reason this students bank balance isn't looking too happy after I hit it with the purchase of a 70-200 and a D800 ). While I really like my 70-200 - on full frame for birds/wildlife the 2X comes into its own. I will be putting my copy through its paces over in the states - we will see how it handles the rather rough treatment of a stormchaser, how the weather sealing copes and its performance in pretty much some of the worst conditions mother nature can throw at a camera.
    Last edited by Xebadir; 25-04-2012 at 4:49pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw this for sale
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ashfi...ery/1001910880

Pretty realistically priced with the extra battery so might be worth considering if you can't wait until a pre-order turns up with your name on it. I am happy to wait.
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    Saw this for sale
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ashfi...ery/1001910880

Pretty realistically priced with the extra battery so might be worth considering if you can't wait until a pre-order turns up with your name on it. I am happy to wait.
    If it is too good to be true it probably isn't true.
    I find it hard to believe that person is selling that body and battery at that price on gumtree ebay when he could easily make another $300.00 on the deal.
    Smells like a scam to me especially when they simply post a catalogue image of the goods.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The interlinked notions of:

"a two week old <insert any device here>" and "had very little use" should have alarm bells ringing immediately.

The least you would do is to give the device a bit of a chance.

that looks like an easy way to lose $3.5K.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proceed with caution but not necessarily a scam.
    Gumtree replies now go through gumtree somehow without revealing the various party's email.
    If the seller agrees to exchange in person and has the original receipt then ok, continue with the transaction at your own discretion.
    If its the usual, 'I'm actually in London/NY/Paris right now but can arrange for X/Y/Z watertight safe method of payment' then just report the ad.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed seeing these shots up until now, Sar. Magnificent first shots and wonderful detail being shown!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Proceed with caution but not necessarily a scam.
    Gumtree replies now go through gumtree somehow without revealing the various party's email.
    If the seller agrees to exchange in person and has the original receipt then ok, continue with the transaction at your own discretion.
    If its the usual, 'I'm actually in London/NY/Paris right now but can arrange for X/Y/Z watertight safe method of payment' then just report the ad.
    Yes, if I lived near Newcastle, I would give the guy a call as the number is on the listing. Agree caution is required. Since I saw that listing, there is another similar listing at $1500 which spells SCAM to me.

Not everyone wants to make a profit in such circumstances some would be hapy just to get their money back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's also one listed in Perth , gumtree is a scammers paradise...and there's no way in hell Id ever buy anything unless its in my home state and I can pick it up

loads of D700 scams too

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/atwel...ody/1001818576
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    gumtree is a scammers paradise...
    Gumtree and ebay are different in one area only.
    Gumtree is where the scammers that can't afford the ebay listing fees post their ads.
    Gumtree IS ebay, simply scroll to the bottom of the page on any listing and you will see that plain as day.
    A nice little money earner for ebay especially seeing as they don't have to offer any of their so called protection policies on that site.
    I suspect that they care as much about their "customers" on there as they do on their main site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true Andrew..but ebay does have the feedback system..and I personally would never bid for a high end item from anyone with limited or no feedback...i makes me chuckle to see D700 listing on eBay from a new ebayer with no feedback who says local pick up is not a option..and yet people still bid for it ..dunno if paypal protects these dumb bidders ?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    true Andrew..but ebay does have the feedback system..
    Steve, have you got an e$ay account?

If you have, me and my 73 "mates" will give you positive feedback.

Email addresses and e$ay accounts are pretty easy things to get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geez, I really got the conversation OT didn't I? I've been an eBayer for over 10 years and have never been caught out but I am fairly particular who I buy from.

{ please refer to the site rules re advertising items for sale }
    Last edited by I @ M; 04-05-2012 at 4:50pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Steve, have you got an e$ay account?

If you have, me and my 73 "mates" will give you positive feedback.

Email addresses and e$ay accounts are pretty easy things to get.
    LOL..your a cynical man Andrew

I do trawl feedback..looking at the items sold etc...I think if you use your common sense ebay can be very useful...its done quite well up till now !...my D300s sped its way across the nullarbor to its new owner the other night thanks to ebay

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 ... LastLast