Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: D800 is here..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    which version of ViewNX?

if you have a 64bit PC, is your version of ViewNX v2.3 or greater and 64bit?
    It does work than the older versions, and any version lower than v2.3 won't recognise D800 files anyhow.
    Your CD(in the D800 box) should have v2.3 at the least ... possibly v2.3.1(latest version).
    Just checked and I only have 2.2.1 haha. Im using a 64bit w7 so I'll update it when I get home. I much prefer using viewnx to transfer than copy and paste from the card . Btw Im using some cheap sandisk SD card and the write time sucks, I'll get a proper CF card soon.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rirakuma View Post
    ..... Im using a 64bit w7 so I'll update it when I get home. I much prefer using viewnx to transfer than copy and paste from the card . Btw Im using some cheap sandisk SD card and the write time sucks, I'll get a proper CF card soon.

Sounds like a plan.

And as for the card .. it was probably ok for writing smaller files from a D90 or so, but of course the files are now 3 or 4 times larger .. so it makes sense.

Note too that just getting a super fast Pro grade Sandisk isn't always the answer.

Check the link that Chris posted to Rob Galbraith. Some lesser known branded cards(less likely to be counterfeit too!) can read and write faster.

I think the brand I got is called Patriot, and is reputed to be 600x speed. (I got mine from MSY)
    It operates fast enough to warrant that speed claim too, and cost 1/2 to 1/3 what a similarly specced Sandisk would have cost me when I purchased it a few years back.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On another note, check out the speed of the Lexar card at the top of the D800 list
    Ouch, checked the price out too. Over $300.00 for 32gb, or you can get the 128GB version for around $1000.00. . I could buy a D800 or 3 cards..LOL
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Ouch, checked the price out too. Over $300.00 for 32gb, or you can get the 128GB version for around $1000.00. . I could buy a D800 or 3 cards..LOL
    Now you know why I didn't buy a super fast CF card, I think 60 mb/s will be fine for my needs
    SD is much more affordable than CF and I prefer them over CF (as I have bent CF pins on a few readers over the years) and have never had one fail.
    Still not sure if the camera itself can write fast enough to keep up with the speed of the cards past 60 or 90 mb/s. Maybe there might be some advantage reading data off the card if you use a USB3 interface.
    Last edited by rodw; 13-04-2012 at 11:14am.
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    Now you know why I didn't buy a super fast CF card, I think 60 mb/s will be fine for my needs
    Agree, I tend to take my time setting up my shot etc, then take one frame. Recompose etc, and go again. I don't think speed of the card will be a big issue to me. And the D800 looks not to be designed as sport photographer camera etc anyway, its FPS rate is not high enough.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Yeah! LOL!

Prices are a bit extreme, but you have to take in context.
    I purchased my fast cheapie card about 2 or three years back for $95 .. when a similar Sandisk was about $200-250 (depending on how much you like to gamble) .. that's 8G for $100 and it gives me approx 60Mb/s .. but I have yet to test it out properly on a faster connection(or timings on my camera). I just know it's fast enough.

Therefore this faster Lexar 32G card is actually cheaper in a total Gb/$ equation. But I still prefer to have my data spread out over more cards than to have them all on the one card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Arthur can you give me more info on the patriot memory you bought? For those getting a D800 its probably worth the money getting a faster card. When I take a picture in live view it has almost 5s of blackout screen, im guessing its because of the slow write time of the crappy sandisk that I have. Its actually quite annoying, the camera is pretty much unusable during that write time (only happens in live view)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another note the live view histogram is a really neat feature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have decided after that great article posted by Chris (and after deliberation and more reading) I'm going to go with a 32GB '60mb/s' CF and a 32 Extreme Pro SD (95mb/s class 10) as my video available card (price is pretty reasonable for these too). Works out the best for my needs, where I generally don't need a burst rate anyway. Crossing my fingers that 3 D800s will arrive at my supplier next week in this next shipment as I would like to learn the camera before the states trip.
    Last edited by Xebadir; 13-04-2012 at 2:07pm.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh that's exactly what I'm doing John as my photography does vary from time to time like the 2 weddings I have coming up one being September and the other in November. Luckily for me they are both for family, but I still wish the D800 would hurry up so I get properly acquainted with in that time before the first one in September as it will be my first FF cam.

D90 to D800, I'm going to be having so much fun..
    Photographer & Retoucher at L'Obsession Secrète

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Arthur can you give me more info on the patriot memory you bought? .....
    I just checked MSY's site(the PDF version) and they only have the cheaper 266x cards listed at the moment.

I got mine about two or three years back now, it's been quite heavily used and no problems at all(so far).

If there's an MSY store not far from you, it may be worth going in and asking or seeing for yourself.

here's an image of mine:

D300_DSH_5107.JPG

There is no brand name on the card, only the P symbol with the stars at the top of the card and the rear face is bare metal only with a faint imprint of the serial No.
    I remember the blister pack had the name Patriot on it.

I just had a peek on Ebay, and have noted(and 'watched') a couple of interesting cards listed there. One of which is the Duracell 600x which gets a high score on Rob Galbraith.
    $50ish for a fast 16Gig card .. landed!
    Unfortunately a quick check on CheapChips hasn't revealed anything of value. Good cards and all that, with the high end Lexars listed at 'reasonable' prices .. but I still think it's just too much for not enough gain.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now that the D800 is really close by the look of it, Mongo has been giving some serious thought as to whether or not to get the D800E model. He knows all that stuff about the low pass filter etc but is the practical difference ? The filter reduces the sharpness but also reduces ill effect too.

This is likely to be Mongo's last camera, so he wants to make the right choice for his type of shooting - long lens wildlife, portraits , macro and landscape (Suppose it does not leave much else ???).

Would particularly love to get Arthur's opinion on this stuff but all information/advice gratefully accepted. will see your replies in the morning - Mongo is going into short overnight hibernation now.

thanks
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was curious to know for myself how well this card does, so I did a RG type speed test.

I can't give an accurate assessment of what the Patriot card can ultimately do, but I can explain how the D300 limits in in some way.

I used another of my cards .. a 4G Sandisk Ultra II to compare it with. I also have two other main cards in the form of 8G A-Data cards, that I originally purchased for my Toshiba PDA only .. not for use on the cameras. Those two were purchased cheaply only for their size(at the time) as I needed masses of space for lots of maps.

So the Patriot seems to write too quite quickly, in fact quicker than the D300's buffer can empty! .... this is why I can't give you an accurate assessment of how fast the card ultimately is.
    It maxes out the USB2 card reader at 17-20Mb/s in both read and write times .. that's as fast as I can get from the USB2 card reader.
    I'm hoping to get a USB3 card reader one day soon too, but it's not a priority.
    The Sandisk card I have is only 9-10Mb/s by comparison.

On the D300 with the Patriot card, I can get more than the standard 17 frames before the buffer limit is reached.
    If you know Nikon cameras, you'll know that when you half press the release, you see on the top LCD screen (and in some viewfinders) an r figure.
    That is, something that looks like r12, or r09, or in the D300's case r17. That's the current buffer limit, and 17 is supposedly the maximum.(note you can set this to a lower figure if you wish too!)

With the Patriot card, my buffer doesn't slow down until I get 20, or sometimes 21, images exposed .. that is, the buffer is clearing out quicker to the card than the buffer can fill up with.
    The Sandisk Ultra can't do this at all. It hits the 17 image limit, then there is a definite slow down, a sec or two and you can easily feel for this and stop shooting.
    With the Patriot card, you can't. You have to watch the image counter on the review screen, or count frames and then forcibly stop shooting to shoot only 17 frames .. even when you hit the 20th or 21st image, it still shoots quite rapidly in comparison to the Sandisk card.
    With the Sandisk card, the camera is simply locked up until the buffer clears a little bit, then you can shoot more again in a burst... and so on.
    As would be expected of an older model camera like the D300, the hardware is more limited, in that the buffer clearance times is limited by the camera's hardware, not the card.

FWIW, some times for clearing out the buffer to the card:
    Patriot cleared 21 images in about 13-14sec(call it 13.5sec) at 13.2Mb per image, that roughly equals about 20Mb/s write times to the card. I think this low value is more to do with the D300's hardware, than the Patriot card, as I said, by about image number 9 or 10 in the buffer(of 20-21 images), the green light starts to blink as the images are written to the card. That is, the card is waiting for data from the data chip in the camera.
    The other quick test I did, was to shoot 6frames on my D300 to see how quickly they wrote to the Patriot card, and the time to green light out was about 4sec or so from pressing the shutter release.
    Sandisk UltraII stopped shooting at exactly the 17 image mark every time. The green (card write) light stayed lit for the duration of the 17 images being displayed on the review screen, and then some more.
    In total the time(s) from ceasing shooting, to the green light going out was 27sec or so .. 26.75s, 26.94s and so on.
    This card is OK .. but only just. I keep it now because I simply have it. I purchased it thinking ... get a Sandisk, everyone swears by them and so on, but I also got burned by them with another card I also purchased. It got corrupted, I lost a few images but in formatting it again after the corruption, I lost the card .. it only red zero bytes capacity. Some internal chip or something went 'pop'.
    The only CF card I've ever had trouble with funnily, and I have a swag of cheapie no-name branded cards from various sources(MSY, ebay, etc).

Apologies for going wayyy OT, but I hope you find your fast CF card .. in some cases there'd be nothing more infuriating than having to wait for a card to clear it's throat just when you really don't want it too(eg. wedding shooting or other fast-ish paced situation .. even if it's only 4 frames in a sec!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mongo, I was adding my other reply as you added yours.

For (predominantly) shooting birds I wouldn't choose the E model.
    The lower specced low pass filter will most likely cause moire effects in the high frequency patterns in the birds feathers.

Where there is high frequency repeating patterns, such as many fabrics, or distant building textures, or birds feathers, you risk getting moire patterns.
    You can get software that reduces the effect, but this is not the same as not getting the effect in the file in the first place.
    It(the software) reduces the resolution of the fine detail anyhow, so why bother trying to get it in the first place.

There are particularly good reasons to have the E model, and because I primarily concentrate on this genre, Landscaping comes to mind as a reason to get the E model.
    It's very rare to get repeating high frequency details in nature like that.

I've been reading that a lot of folks (on other fora) are interested in an E model for Macro, where you'd expect the extra detail level to be an advantage, but again, in many macro situations you get very fine repeating patterns that will cause moire ..... think of a fly's eyes or very fine hair like structures in a flower.

I hate moire, and while this was a long time ago that I had to deal with it, and software may have come a long way since then, this was with the D70s.
    A camera notorious for producing moire whenever it could!
    Strange little fact about this camera, is that it used the sensor from the D100, which was less susceptible to moire, I suspect in an attempt from Nikon to get better details. But on the D70/D70s, it kind of backfired. The D70 models obviously had weaker AA filters than the D100 had.
    But it was well known too that the D100 image could be brought back up to the same level of detail as an image from the D70's could be got!
    USM! Appropriate use of USM got images back up to similar standards of detail to the D70 cameras.
    It seemed that Nikon relented with that sensor's AA filter, because they also used it in the D50 and then D40 cameras, but they never had moire issues like the D70s did.

It is true tho that in some cases you will get detail in the image from an E model that you may never get from the non E model, as you would expect from a lower strength AA filter on the same sensor, but you risk seeing this moire issue as well.

There is a great example of the issue on the Nikon site:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Ex...slr-tech-moire

While it's great that you can ultimately get more detail from the E, look at the last image to see the moire patterning.
    One thing tho, and that is that even tho the fabric in the kimono did produce moire patterns in the image from the D800E and not the D800, if you look at the sample images from the D800E on the Nikon site, the fabric in the kimono doesn't produce moire colour. So the image can be captured(or processed) to eliminate the issue .. just something to be aware of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It maxes out the USB2 card reader at 17-20Mb/s in both read and write times .. that's as fast as I can get from the USB2 card reader.
    I'm hoping to get a USB3 card reader one day soon too, but it's not a priority.
    Andrew I'm pretty sure you are aware of this but just for reference for others, in order for a USB3.0 to "fully work" you need also a USB3.0 port on your computer otherwise it will only transfer that of a USB2.0
    Regardless of card type / speed, unless you are upto date with computer hardware within the last year or less your more than likely not to have USB 3.0 fitted on your main board / computer.
    Of course this may effect a very large margin of people who choose to rent or are behind in current computer tech by a generation or 2, this will also be the same with Mac computers / lappyies aswell.

As stated, USB3.0 is backwards compatibility with USB2.0 from the Nikon D800 and anything in that matter but I have been reading around that mac users think that they wouldn't be able to transfer from the D800's USB3.0 to the Mac's USB2.0 because they don't have the USB3.0 port..

This statement is: UNTRUE , The only thing that it affects if the transfer rate of that of a USB3.0 compared to USB2.0
    Last edited by Chris G; 14-04-2012 at 12:06am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see a discussion on chips and a couple of people following my lead but here is a couple of observations.

It is unfair to compare the Sandisk Ultra at 30 mb/s with the Patriot at 90 mb/s (if their 600x is to be believed). But it does show that a 3 fold increase in card speed does not yield much in terms of buffer performance indicating that other restrictions are in play within the camera (eg, 3x increase in card speed only yielded 3 more images in the buffer stakes).

Cheap as chips have a $30 Sandisk USB3 card reader which I bought with my chips. It seems to be fine for me.

If you were going to benchmark card performance you would need to do it on a USB3 reader using a HDD benchmark program. I did this a long time ago with USB2 and FireWire external HDD. Google should unearth something. I'm too lazy to dig back and find out what software I used back then. The results were interesting.

I've got USB3 on my PC and an external USB3 HDD and the performance is blistering so it will be interesting to see the difference in performance between my CF And SD Cards. If I do this, I'd start looking at using the benchmark program while the camera was connected by USB3 and then once performance was understood, look at some speed comparisons of buffer performance against this benchmark data. There is no doubt in my mind that the USB3 interface will NOT be the limiting factor.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris, that was me(Arthur.. AK83) that said that (quote) about the USB2 slow issue.

I got USB3 covered and have had for a long while now.
    All good, I get between 60-90Mb/s from my USB3 enclosed external hdd. So once I get this USB3 reader, the USB interface won't be the bottleneck.

I'm just going to hazard a guess with what I believe this Patriot card to be capable of, and I reckon it'll be a good 40Mb/s once it's allowed to work properly.

LOL on the Mac users USB3/2 concerns.

USB3 is fully backward compatible with USB2 that I know of .. in fact when you have issues with your USB3 connection, the work around is to revert back to USB2 to get the device working again.

Strangely enough I've had this issue and can say from experience .. if your USB3 device suddenly stops connecting via the USB3 connection, there's a very high probability that connecting it to a USB2 port will get it going again!
    (had this problem with a problematic USB3 HDD docking station .. that still isn't resolved!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris, that was me(Arthur.. AK83) that said that (quote) about the USB2 slow issue.

I got USB3 covered and have had for a long while now.
    All good, I get between 60-90Mb/s from my USB3 enclosed external hdd. So once I get this USB3 reader, the USB interface won't be the bottleneck.

I'm just going to hazard a guess with what I believe this Patriot card to be capable of, and I reckon it'll be a good 40Mb/s once it's allowed to work properly.

LOL on the Mac users USB3/2 concerns.

USB3 is fully backward compatible with USB2 that I know of .. in fact when you have issues with your USB3 connection, the work around is to revert back to USB2 to get the device working again.

Strangely enough I've had this issue and can say from experience .. if your USB3 device suddenly stops connecting via the USB3 connection, there's a very high probability that connecting it to a USB2 port will get it going again!
    (had this problem with a problematic USB3 HDD docking station .. that still isn't resolved!)
    lol sorry about the name mix ups Arth, have had a couple of beers...

Anyway even though I have one of the 'somewhat' of the latest mainboards on the market for top end PCs. I can say that out my 4x USB3 ports, 2 of the 4 has locked up from time to time which has resulted in switching ports back to USB 2.0 to get moving again. But of course this could due to from a number of things, mainly that being the products / hardware I'm using are only USB2.0 compliant and with that could be bottle necking the USB3 somehow???? I suppose it would work in the same respect as a CPU vs GPU, you cant have one more powerful than the other otherwise decreased performance will occur at either end depending on power from either side. Which in turn is always best to get something that will fit in between the mediums.

To much tech talk?.. lol

Arth yeh I'm not entirely sure what was the go with Mac users complaining about the D800's USB3.0..
    Last edited by Chris G; 14-04-2012 at 1:21am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another note the live view histogram is a really neat feature!

yes that does look like a useful tool...but i dont shoot in liveview much..a d800 might change that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    yes that does look like a useful tool...but i dont shoot in liveview much..a d800 might change that
    If you wanna use Live View with the D800 make sure you get a fast card. I ended up ordering a Lexar 400x SDHC 32gb for $70. I thought about getting a CF card but theyre much more expensive and I don't need the backup feature.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast