Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They mentioned "36.3 mega pixel" six times in that one short article but then again it really is something to boast about.

oh so curious how Canon responds to this when the 5D MKIII comes out
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Ausphotography Regular richardb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is so exciting. Sensor critical dimensions are far smaller than the 40 nanometer node.
    16 nm has been reached last December.
    Guess, next sensor features are stacks of atoms, with dimensions in angström
    No worries, Canon can get any sensor from the semiconductor foundries in Jpn. Even from Korea.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mintos its been a long time waiting i wonder that the price is $$$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US$3000 for the standard D800, and US$3300 for the D800E version (without the AA filter)

...and add a few hundred dollars for local price, if not more....
    Last edited by bgolds99; 07-02-2012 at 5:15pm.
    Check out my Flickr!

Nikon D90 & 18-55mm Kit lens, Nikkor 50mm/1.4G & 35mm/1.8G, Tamron 90mm/2.8 macro, Tokina 11-16mm/2.8, and most recently, Nikkor 70-300 VR
    Benro Tripod, Manfrotto Head & Light craft ND500 Filter

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .....wow, the price is competitive !!!
    and 3000px wider than the D700..... that's realestate !
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D800E seems that you can 'disable' the AA filter in camera. ie you can also enable it?
    It could just be loose wording, but I read it as slightly ambiguous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    D800E seems that you can 'disable' the AA filter in camera. ie you can also enable it?
    It could just be loose wording, but I read it as slightly ambiguous.
    Yeah, i think that is just poor product description/translation.... i think the "in camera disabling" means that it is disabled permanently in camera. I dont think the AA filter can be turned on/off... If that were the case, who wouldn't buy the D800E version... for an extra 300 bucks, being able to get that extra resolution when required would be well worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is my understanding that the filter is a physical layer placed over the sensor. This has been removed from the sensor in the D800E, so no its not a function you can switch on and off unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This D800 is a true revolution :

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, you'd need to have a pretty good system to be able to handle those files! Wonder how many will also need to upgrade computers when buying this!
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyza View Post
    They mentioned "36.3 mega pixel" six times in that one short article but then again it really is something to boast about.

oh so curious how Canon responds to this when the 5D MKIII comes out
    Quote Originally Posted by triptych View Post
    wow, you'd need to have a pretty good system to be able to handle those files! Wonder how many will also need to upgrade computers when buying this!
    Oh how times have changed, not so long ago Canon were marketing "their more mega pixels than Nikon" message loud and strong.

Back then the Nikon owners were saying much the same thing as the quotes above.

Guess what, it is simply progress and if Canon respond with a suitably impressive equivalent release of a 5D MK111 ( seeing as they all seem to know what each other is doing it is highly likely ) you guys above will probably not even blink an eyelid at having to upgrade a pc to cope with the larger size files.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by triptych View Post
    My gaming PC comes in handy every now and again when you need speed especially for photo editing ;-)

Does Anyone know which stores can pre-order to australia. B&H and amazon are US only and have a pre-order form for the D800 up for $2999. Adorama who do ship to Australia dont have the pre-order up yet.

I know camera pro and vanbar have local pre-orders but there prices are quite inflated.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting change to a more round-shouldered body shape, somewhat like Canon. Probably to assist with the transition .

Be interesting to see what the local prices come in at (not that it's relevant to a lot of people). (Still no local pricing on D4.)

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally !!! Mongo gets a new worthwhile camera after an 8 year wait !!!!
    Nikon and Pentax user

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20Mp too many and 4fps too slow.

Price sounds good tho, and a few full sized images on flickr I've seen also look quite OK.

An AA filter is literally a hardware filter.
    It looks like a gauze type pattern etched very finely on the filter substrate. You can't see the crosshatch pattern on the filter with the naked eye, the etching is measured in microns.

You can remove the AA filter on the standard D800 if this is what is wanted, but how Nikon can justify an additional $300 expense for not including a particular part is bordering on offensive!
    (They've really got their heads screwed on backward those folks )

Now the problem is Nikon Aus's pricing policy.

As of 7-2-12 US$3000K equals AU$2770(or thereabouts).

That's a lot cheaper than I expected(~$4K or more) and now the D800 as is, is back on my want list depending on IQ at higher ISOs .. especially ISO6400 and 12800 compared to the D700 and D4.

This puts a lot of pressure on the price structure of the D400 now too!
    They couldn't possibly justify over $2K for a D400, if the D800 is only at $3K!!

Nikon seem to suffering from pricing policy amnesia!
    (they seem to have forgotten their prior history)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A DX user moving to FX can now buy a D800 and their existing DX lenses'll still be highly useful. Afterall the D800's like having an FX + a D7000 in one so there's still plenty of resolution in DX crop. It'll ease the transition and provide a nice upgrade path for DX users who want to go FX but have already invested heavily in DX lenses. They can now slowly sell off and replace lenses over time. Nice touch.

I guess my only disappointment is the lack of pixel binning. I'd love to have the option of 9MP RAW file with excellent per pixel colour and noise qualities. I know you can do it in post but its not the same
    That and the AF placement but its a minor quibble.

Ok.. I don't need a D800 but I really want one!!!!!

Anyone else having trouble downloading the sample pics. I think Nikon's servers' going into meltdown LOL
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    A DX user moving to FX can now buy a D800 and their existing DX lenses'll still be highly useful. Afterall the D800's like having an FX + a D7000 in one so there's still plenty of resolution in DX crop. It'll ease the transition and provide a nice upgrade path for DX users who want to go FX but have already invested heavily in DX lenses. They can now slowly sell off and replace lenses over time. Nice touch.

I guess my only disappointment is the lack of pixel binning. I'd love to have the option of 9MP RAW file with excellent per pixel colour and noise qualities. I know you can do it in post but its not the same
    That and the AF placement but its a minor quibble.

Ok.. I don't need a D800 but I really want one!!!!!

Anyone else having trouble downloading the sample pics. I think Nikon's servers' going into meltdown LOL
    haha I thought that the site was broken at 3pm when they were released but its probably because 500 million people are all trying to DL the 20MB jpeg at the same time...

correction above ^^ B&H do ship to Australia ranging from $80-190 for the D800

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by image2paint View Post
    Does Anyone know which stores can pre-order to australia. B&H and amazon are US only and have a pre-order form for the D800 up for $2999. Adorama who do ship to Australia dont have the pre-order up yet.

I know camera pro and vanbar have local pre-orders but there prices are quite inflated.
    Quote Originally Posted by image2paint View Post
    correction above ^^ B&H do ship to Australia ranging from $80-190 for the D800
    With the US stores putting that sub 3k price on that body I reckon you can safely bet that it will be in short supply for at least 6 months. As of this morning the exchange rate to OZ pesos puts it at around AUD $2800.00 and even allowing USD$200.00 for delivery it is still a bargain.
    The expensive UK sellers are taking pre orders at around AUD $3500.00 so I feel that Australian retailers will start at about the $3600.00 mark as well considering that they are trying to sell D700 bodies at $2700.00 .

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting about the anti-aliasing filter. At present we can clean our own dust bunnies cause the AA filter is really what we wipe clean. If there is not one, then it certainly makes me wonder about cleaning the sensor. I wonder if rather than the AA filter, they are placing just plain clean high quality glass or something in front of the sensor.

I can see some gooses causing all sorts of damage to their sensors, if they wet clean it, if there is nothing at all over the sensor...hmmm

I like this camera. Think Nikon might be onto a bit of a winner with this one.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast