Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  46
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021 LastLast

Thread: D800 is here..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Rod, but unfortunately there is no way I can get one shipped to me in time before this trip (leave Sunday, eep!). While they do look interesting, wind noise elimination is not something I tend to worry about alot anyway given being around a tornado or a storm is generally very quiet either - guess you just have to be there to know what I mean.
    Might be a bit late but here are a couple more furry sites for you mate just in case one is where you are heading to.
    http://furryheadwindscreens.com/en/
    http://www.redheadwindscreens.com/

I suspect that you would be better off with a smaller microphone for a mor compact setup if you ever used your DSLR for video while storm chasing.
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was my primary video camera, most certainly. But I tend to rely on my Sony CX150s for that role, whereas the DSLR is mainly going to be for timelapse or capturing things I physically can't with the CX150s. Its going to be interesting getting used to adding it to my routine chase habits. Balancing a laptop, two full frame bodies, directing a dashcam, navigating and operationally nowcasting/radar interpretting is going to be a sight to behold . I might look into it when I get back.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally, 3 months and 5 days after I put my order in I have a D800 sitting on my desk!

I have got a fair bit to learn about it I think. I grabbed a spare battery so one is on charge and I have had time to take a couple of shots in the office but nothing to let me see how sharp it is yet. Low light indoors seems excellent though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    Finally, 3 months and 5 days after I put my order in I have a D800 sitting on my desk!

I have got a fair bit to learn about it I think. I grabbed a spare battery so one is on charge and I have had time to take a couple of shots in the office but nothing to let me see how sharp it is yet. Low light indoors seems excellent though!
    I'm still waiting for some new news from camera pro about mine.. :S
    Photographer & Retoucher at L'Obsession Secrète

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    I'm still waiting for some new news from camera pro about mine.. :S
    I would have been very upset if you had yours by now given I got in 6 weeks or so before you!

Anyway, you are moving up the queue.

CameraPro are opening a retail store this week and have canon in the store on Thursday and Nikon on Friday if anybody lives in Brissy.

I took a few pics last night. Still on JPEG cos I could not work out how to change it. Duh! It has a dedicated button! I was using my 24-85 so I can work out if it is a keeper or not. Still not sure but lighting was not ideal for sharpness but I had a lot of camera I was coming to grips with

Kurilpa bridge in Brissy

Paul's milk factory

the pub on the way back to the car.

Today I had a wander round with a 50 mm lens, now that's sharp. I have now got a better Handle on what I am doing so there is hope for me yet. Even managed Raw!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rod, they're all very soft and the dynamics low which could be caused by the high ISO used in a number of them. The ones with the high ISO and high shutter speed could be off-set by using a smaller "f" stop. Worth a try.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Rod, they're all very soft and the dynamics low which could be caused by the high ISO used in a number of them. The ones with the high ISO and high shutter speed could be off-set by using a smaller "f" stop. Worth a try.
    Thanks Redgum. Yes I know they are not ideal and agree with you. I have done a bit of processing so may have lost some detail from the jpegs as I may have overworked the blacks and shadows and reduced range. I had troubles getting my head around a lot of things like focus points and focus methods and the like and the ISO had to be fairly high. I'm sure it is not technique as some of them were from a rest.

I am still not sure if the lens is part of the problem which is what I want to find out. I've had it for 7 years or so and it needs a service and clean if I keep it but if it is not up to the task, I will flog it on ebay. I took this lens to work and had it sitting in my drawer as I dont really use it on DX so it just sat there with an older CF card until I got the call to pick up my body..

Anyway, a few things fell into place last night while I was playing with settings.

Today, I had a go with a 50mm F1.4 lens near noon and in bright light, they are sharp and soe of the colour was fantastic. I was a lot more conscious of shutter and aperture and adjusted ISO to keep things around F8. My plan is to try a different lens every day for a while. Hopefuly, I will find a couple worth sharing when I find some time later tonight. I will say it was reay nice to take a few pics with a 50mm lens on an FX camera again!
    Last edited by rodw; 16-05-2012 at 5:08pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic sample images gents - many thanks for posting!
    Even better news to hear D800 stock is arriving!
    Video wise, I have been going a bit crazy on the ebay front playing with all sorts of devices specific to DSLR video.

Please reread the site rules regarding linking to products as a new member.

Cheers
    Last edited by I @ M; 21-05-2012 at 5:29pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still amazed by its AF speed and accuracy as well as its high ISO performances :

1000mm, f/8, 1/500", 4 000 ISO, monopod.

Crop 100%

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely amazing shot, Sar!!

People have to remember why this is so amazing as this is a 600mm lens with a 1.7x TC on a monpod and ISO4000! Not something that could have been done with such ease, and with such amazing detail and accuracy, with any other camera, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredibly impressed with my road test of the D800 so far, have put a couple of hundred shots on the clock now, and the colouration, clarity, sharpness and overall detail is a completely new world in storm photography. A bunch of test shots can be found on the hunters of thunder blog (click in my signature), haven't had a chance to uplaod them seperately for here yet. In particular, the lightning performance is the best I have seen out of a digital camera...its incredible. The LCD previews are also very impressive in the colour and tone. Will keep you updated as I test further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used a Nikon AF-S 28-300mm IF ED VR, with the d800? would love to see an example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnCurl View Post
    Has anyone used a Nikon AF-S 28-300mm IF ED VR, with the d800? would love to see an example.
    Have a look at Brad Hill's opinion on this lens, with image samples : http://www.naturalart.ca/artist/fiel...NikonD800.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that was useful

I had a couple of people advise me to get the 28-300mm as i only have 105mm and 50mm FX lens, however i am almost 100% certain that the lens i buy with the D800 will be a 24-70mm. As my focus is people and i want the non fixed ability. Still want a 85mm and 70-200mm though :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ordered mine from camerpro in brisbane, $3425 - 2 year nikon AUS warranty.

I think this is reasonable if you look at what shipping costs and added warranty would be.

I have also found the customer service very good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnCurl View Post
    Thanks that was useful

I had a couple of people advise me to get the 28-300mm as i only have 105mm and 50mm FX lens, however i am almost 100% certain that the lens i buy with the D800 will be a 24-70mm. As my focus is people and i want the non fixed ability. Still want a 85mm and 70-200mm though :P
    If you can afford the 24-70, I don't think you can go wrong. I have an older 24-85 which was regarded as a very sharp lens in its day but honestly, while it is nice on the D800 and I will use happily use it, it is left behind by the sharpness of my 17-35 and 70-200 so one day I'll sell it on for the 24-70. That being said, once you actually print a photo from the lens, it is still pretty good and pixel peeping adds no value.

As others have said, the colors, exposure and dynamic range continue to be a source of amazement.

I've had a little bit of a play with videos and audio to go with it. I think we have a bit of catching up to do in understanding audio in comparison to the Canon users who have had e chance to dabble in video for a while. I'm not quite ready to share my findings yet, still got a bit more to do but i am certain that if you are going to use an external microphone, you must set the audio levels manually to minimize hiss.
    Last edited by rodw; 25-05-2012 at 11:07am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have great faith in the d800/ 24-70mm combo

The waiting is killing me my hubby says all i do is look at pictures of the camera and camera equipment!

Has anyone looked into getting a d800 book? (other than the manual!) They are just starting to come out, and i found it really helpful when i first got my d5000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for purchasing from CameraPro.
    Your NIKON D800 Body Only Pre Order has been dispatched via Startrack Express!

And here I was thinking Christmas atleast lol..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Thank you very much for purchasing from CameraPro.
    Your NIKON D800 Body Only Pre Order has been dispatched via Startrack Express!

And here I was thinking Christmas atleast lol..
    Happy days

If what they told me a few days before you ordered is correct, then over 200 have gone out the Camerapro door which means that really useful quantities are becoming available now so waiting lists must be getting under control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    soooo D800 got here this morning WOOHOO..

But I have a problem, she wont take any shots and is completely locked up in P mode, I can't change the mode from P with a contant eRR flashing everytime I press the shutter button.. It sounds like the mirror is working but when I had a look to see what it was doing, it was doing nothing but making a sound of the shutter firing off?.. I've made sure my lens/es are set to max aperture ect and honestly starting to think I have lemon.. If anyone can share some light on this I would be greatly appreciated

One worried D800 owner...
    Last edited by Chris G; 31-05-2012 at 9:40am.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021 LastLast