User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Lens question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens question

Ok bit of a stupid question, but I have a Canon 1000D with twin lens kit (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III) also an EF 50mm f/1.8 II. I am looking to upgrade (not sure what model yet) but I am wondering whether the kit lenses are able to be used on a different body. I read something somewhere online about the rebel kit lenses being different to most others?
    I am trying to decide whether I could get away with buying a new camera body and using my old lenses until I can buy another lens or whether I'm going to need to buy the new body with kit/or with another lens.
    Can anybody help?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your EF-S lenses can only be used on Canon crop sensor bodies, not full frame camera bodies.

Your 1000D is a great bit of kit, why are you wanting to upgrade?
    Last edited by ricktas; 03-02-2012 at 3:18pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Your EF-S lenses can only be used on Canon crop sensor bodies, not full frame camera bodies.

Your 1000D is a great bit of kit, why are you wanting to upgrade?
    Just to expand that, They can only be used on 1.6X Crop sensor bodies... They won't work on a 1D series Camera which are the 1.3x crop (APS-H sensors)

So it will work on any Canon XXXXD XXXD and XXD cameras
    Last edited by srowlandson; 03-02-2012 at 3:26pm.
    Steve Rowlandson
    Http://steven.rowlandson.name
    Canon 1D Mark III & 20D Gripped. A few lenses, flashes n stuff.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ricktas, that's a good question really LOL. I am pretty happy with what I have and will still do me for quite a while. I would like to upgrade and have been researching what my next purchase will be but I'm not about to go out and buy another. Hopefully I can get another one within the next year or so though.
    I think I'm looking at something like the 60D at the moment. There are a few features that the 1000D doesn't have that I would like, like a higher ISO, vari-angle LCD, movie capability and a couple of other things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from deciding if you want to upgrade your kit lens, you also have to decide what you actually want the upgrade for. Do they not give you the image quality you are looking for, do you want it for longer shots, do you want wider than 18mm, do you want a general walkaround lens that spans a bit of both your current lenses, a prime portrait lens with either shorter or longer length than the 50 f/1.8? There are many many variables. Firstly you have to ask yourself what you like to shoot and what your current lenses will not give you when you shoot it. Once you know the answer to all those questions at least you will know what to start looking at. Good luck, it is a treacherously expensive path you are about to embark on.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They EF-S lenses wont work on the 5D Series either..
    They will work on the 60D if you are thinking of buying that model..
    Good advice from Lloyd above.

I can understand you wanting to upgrade to a another model, the 1000D does not have spot metering either.
    And if you want to take Macro images I feel you need it and its also good for Birding, both my cameras are always set on that.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, the spot metering is another thing, and I would eventually like to buy a macro lens. So I will need to upgrade the body one day! LOL

LJG, it's not that I actually want to upgrade the lenses, I mostly want to upgrade the body, and was still wanting to use my original kit lenses for a while, just wasn't sure if they would fit. For now, especially while I am still learning the lenses I have are fine, especially the 50mm f/1.8 which is what I mostly use. Later on I know I would at least like a macro lens and a few others.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing wrong with wanting a better camera. As each new model arrives there seems to be a few features better than the older model plus some new features. I could still be driving around in my FX Holden as it still gets you from A to B but I much prefer m VT Calais. Aspire to improve and upgrade and you will reach your goal. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srowlandson View Post
    ...They can only be used on 1.6X Crop sensor bodies....So it will work on any Canon XXXXD XXXD and XXD cameras
    And 7D.

Actually his twin lens kit includes one EF-S lens and one EF lens. THe EF-S lens is restricted as above to 28mm sensor Canons. The EF lens will fit ANY Canon DSLR.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    And 7D.

Actually his twin lens kit includes one EF-S lens and one EF lens. THe EF-S lens is restricted as above to 28mm sensor Canons. The EF lens will fit ANY Canon DSLR.
    Her

So both lenses would work on say, a 60D if thats what I end up getting?
    Thanks everyone for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they will all work on 60D

A 60D is a good choice, I'm very happy with mine.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been having similar thoughts with my 1100D, but i just keep telling myself to learn more, practice and just stick it out until i actually NEED to upgrade. At least see this year out with it.

It was actually nice to read above, Rick state the 1000D was a decent cam, most people i come across that have any camera knowledge turn there nose up at the entry level cams and kit lenses

Gotta start somewhere.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    I think I'm looking at something like the 60D at the moment. There are a few features that the 1000D doesn't have that I would like, like a higher ISO, vari-angle LCD, movie capability and a couple of other things.
    They seem to me to be logical reasons to consider a new camera body. The flip out screen is very useful for many applications, I have found.
    The 60D seems a very good value for money camera with a lot of the benefits of the 7D.

However, the 1000D is also a good camera and I would advise to be more definitive in listing (i.e. writing a list on a piece of paper) the OUTCOMES you seek and then relate how you cannot make those outcomes by linking that list directly to the limitations of ALL the gear you have.

Doing this you might find that you do not need more ISO at the fast end but indeed it might be that you just need a faster lens, or a tripod.

I don’t know - you might have done this already, but maybe you have not?

WW

Aside: Just for clarity for others who might be reading, as "EF-S" has caused confusion before:

EF-S is a lens mount and is NOT directly and solely related to the all the cameras in Canon APS-C camera format series.

For example the EF-S lens will NOT mount on every xxD body: the 10D being an example.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William W is correct re the 10D, produced before the introduction of the EF-S lenses.
    I had a very similar conversation with a work colleague today and thought that the easiest way to put it is that EF-S lenses suit all recent Canon DSLRs except for 1D and 5D series.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Butterfly, did you end up getting something?