Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noise reduction assistance - urgent

Hey everyone,

I'm in need of urgent assistance. I've tried googling and reading through this forum, but I'm still at a loss what might be the best approach to reducing the noise in this image, and keeping whatever detail I can. I'm confused because a lot of similar questions in forums ask things like "what kind of noise is it?", "is it only in the shadows?", "is it ISO or exposure related?"... then the answers differ considerably.

My 3 issues:

1. It's not a photo I took, so I don't know the settings except to guess that it was from a cheap point and shoot. It belongs to a friend.
    2. It's a low-res JPEG (72dpi) with a good chunk of noise.
    3. My friend would like the photo processed for printing for her partner in the next couple of days.

The photo is quite personal, so I've cropped a section of it to demonstrate what I'm dealing with. There will be no great cure for this, but I just want to clean it up as best as possible.

Alternatively, I can offer some artistic processing, but first of all I just want to reduce noise and make the original as good as possible. There are many options in Photoshop. I don't know where to start. I'm guessing that I should be breaking the channels up and working on each... but I seriously have no idea where to start. Maybe it's because I'm only finding crappy tutorials online, but the advice is so different from website to website.

Anyone have suggestions for me, based on what you see here?

Ged
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://bit.ly/dnc5cT